Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC video clips not working

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BBC video clips not working

Over the last few days I have been unable to view BBC News video clips.  The rotating spots, indicating the downloading procedure, are continuous.
I think the only change I have been making is the tweaking of the RWIN value, following the implementation of adsl2+.
I have updated/re-installed Windows Media Player and Real Player, although I don't know which of these is actually used.
Please can anyone help?
Regards......
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: BBC video clips not working

I have updated/re-installed Windows Media Player and Real Player, although I don't know which of these is actually used.

adobe flash player
what do you get from the iplayer test http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks Asbo Dog.....
Quote from: Asbo
what do you get from the iplayer test http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

Page not found (Error 404)!
I've just tried uninstalling/re-installingAdobe Flash, still no joy.
Regards......
dick:green Quote fixed.
scootie
Grafter

iplayer test working fine from this slow 1500kbps profile post office connection
whats your mtu set at on your router and pc? if all this started spot on when you changed your rwin i would go back and insure all is ok with this setting.
the 404 error getting to the test page maybe a side issue as well.
have you tried to wireshark to see what priority the iplayer traffic is getting on your connection, very rare to happen but i had it happen to me when i joined 21cn trial over a year ago
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try untweaking!
Set things to what they were - did you change your MTU too?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fotobits
Rising Star

Asbo Dog and A Fox is Evil.....MTU on both router and PC = 1500.  I reverted to earlier RWIN whwn I encounted the prob.
Annoying.
Regards and thanks
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Out of interest, (assuming it's now fixed) what OS do you have and what was the bad RWIN?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fotobits
Rising Star

A Fox is Evil.....I have XP and the earlier RWIN was 197,100, the lowest RWIN suggested by Broadband Reports and the one I'm trying now is 525,600 the highest.
I have tried an old laptop I have and on attempting to display a BBC News video, which had previously downloaded them OK, it indicated that the version of Adobe Flash Player needed to be replaced.  I installed the current version and all was well!  Interestingly the RWIN on the laptop if 65,536, left from my earlier adsl1 connection!
I have been unable to repeat the process with my main computer and have uninstalled and re-installed Flash a number of times.
Following your trend of thought, I will try experimenting with the previous RWIN.....197,100.
Many thanks for your continuing interest.....clearly I have an incorrect setting on my computer.
Regards.....
fotobits
Rising Star

At last, I can again view the BBC video clips that have eluded me for over a week!
The solution was re-setting the Global Settings of Flash Player.  Although I don't know how these settings became messed-up in the first place.
I think my problems may have started following my desperate attempts restore the clips by, in turn, re-installing Java, Windows Media Player, Real Player and Flash Player!  All more than once!
Only this evening did I "discover" the Flash Settings Manager.....obtained by right-clicking on the video clip's image.  A bit of tweaking here and the News videos are back!
Thanks again Asbo Dog and A Fox is Evil for your interest and the resulting encouragement.  The number of times over the last 6-years that I have enjoyed the help of the Forum......great stuff.
Regards