Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC praises Ubuntu

jmd
Grafter

BBC praises Ubuntu

Interesting item on BBC website -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8326264.stm

not sure if this should be on this part of Forum or not but thought since it referred to Ubuntu it was suitable?
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: BBC praises Ubuntu

That's not a good thing for Ubuntu Tongue
Ben_Brown
Grafter

If the BBC like it so much why don't they support it properly in iPlayer - Adobe Air is not good enough!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I hope you've seen http://linuxcentre.net/  Grin
No DRM

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

This one is by a so-called BBC technology reporter  ???:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/10/24_hours_with_ubuntu.html
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Hmm.
I also gave up on attempting to use the music streaming service Spotify, after a warning that, as there was no Linux version, I would first need to get hold of something called Wine which allows you to run Windows apps. Too much bother...

Too much bother to do a handfull of clicks!, Open the Menu/Admin/Synaptic type in wine, double click on the wine program and then install. Then install the spottify program... (Or if you are using Mint, type wine into the filter menu and it will offer to install it if not installed)
What does he want someone to come along and install it for him! (I.e. a corporate network user!)
Update:- Yes HE DOES!
But, even after some help from a Canonical advisor who came and installed a few add-ons such as Flash, I struggled to work out how I would organise photos, music and video with this system.

Risking another pasting from its supporters, I'll predict that Ubuntu will remain a very niche product - but it's Google's Android which could bring open-source to the mass consumer market.

Which is BASED on Ubuntu!
What a "tosser" as we used to say  Lips_are_sealed And he gets PAID to write this?
Not applicable

My thoughts were in a similar vein. I managed to install Spotify under Wine in no more than 10 minutes and I am definitely no computer geek! Had a small bit of trouble with jmdlp's but did a bit of messing about and got it up and running eventually.
Denzil
Grafter

I struggled to work out how I would organise photos, music and video with this system.

What, struggled with the idea of having different folders to keep them in, just like every other OS does?
artificer
Grafter

praise from the bbc is not worth the words they waste.  they hardly acknowledge that it's linux at all.  ignorant sod.
Denzil
Grafter

I can't help but think that anyone unfamiliar with Windows who spent 24 hours with it would be throwing their PC out of the nearest window.
artificer
Grafter

au contraire.  visit pclinuxos.com and read some of the testimonials from people who thought they wouldn't be able to handle linux.  what surprises them is how easy it is compared with some of the things they have to do to get windows working properly.
all their hardware recognised.  no having to scout around the web for drivers.  a bunch of applications installed and ready to use.  no endless reboots after each installation of anything.  goodbye annoying popups.  no need for anti-malware.  it looks pretty to and is endlessly configurable.
some of the people who came from windows are now so well informed that they are building packages.  they've shed their fear of the command line and enjoy the power it offers.
Heloman
Grafter

Totally agree with "artificer".
Never touched a computer during my working life, but bought one on retiring. Took me months to learn Windows.
Eventually got fed up with continually having to re-install XP. Tried Ubuntu, because the impression I had from the Media (specially the BBC) was that Linux=Ubuntu!  Since discovered that it's because Canonical, which has money behind it, bombards them with free CDs etc...
Anyway, I hated Ubuntu but fortunately was pointed to PClinuxOS and have never looked back. It does everything I need and took me relatively little time to master even though I'm a white-haired, non-techie, self-taught old git  Smiley
I regularly check all the distros, and the only other one I would recommend to a Windows convert is MEPIS, which I like almost as much.