cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer + limiting usage?

Gilbie

BBC iPlayer + limiting usage?

Hi all
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can limit usage of iPlayer? We have 15GB per month which gets eaten up fairly quickly by the kids watching Eastenders Cbeebbies.  There is a low bandwidth options but educating a 5yr old to select this is proving tricky.
Any tips would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: BBC iPlayer + limiting usage?

a five year old should not be using the internet without parents being there
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I welcome you to the forums Gilbie but I have to agree with Pierré.
If you have unrestricted access to the internet then youngsters need supervision.
Vista offers limited control of usage to a selected user profile with it's Parental Controls.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could also take them out for a ride
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

One completely daft suggestion would be to try to get a worse broadband connection!  If you have a low speed (<<3500kbps) then HQ will not play smoothly (iPlayer should automatically switch to LQ if the connection is low speed).
Maybe PN could cap your line (if you want this!)? Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Gilbie

Many thanks for your quick replies - understand about supervising children on the internet. We are very carefull about this and as its a desktop computer in the main living area we are always around when its in use. The platform is XP home so unable to use the Vista controls. I should add that its not just a 5yr old that uses iPlayer but a 7 and 11 yr old. Good point about lowering the bandwidth, is there a free / cheap app that I could use to throttle the NIC?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Why dont they just watch the tv rather than eating up all the bandwidth,you could always move to tiscali(talk talk)i know there service is lousy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Gilbie

Quote from: steve74
Why dont they just watch the tv rather than eating up all the bandwidth,you could always move to tiscali(talk talk)i know there service is lousy

Genius..............  Crazy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You might want to take a look at K9 Web Protection here http://www1.k9webprotection.com/index.php
Whilst it cant throttle the NIC it would allow you to block access to iplayer live.
You could for instance block www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlive/ either totally or for certain times of the day.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.