cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avira quarantine slows my laptop to a standstill !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Avira quarantine slows my laptop to a standstill !

After it`s daily scan, my copy of Avira reported two items of concern.....
so I duly "quarantined" them.... after which, my laptop seemed to stop dead on every page loading at about 95% according to the red progress bar (bottom right of screen)
suspecting that it was caused by the above "quarantine" action... I chose one to "restore" from the quarantine shed.... when I did select it, I got the following message
This object is a virus or unwanted programs. Are you sure you want to restore this.  YES    NO..
that worried me a little , so I declined.... however, trying to get the speedtester to work, was impossible, so I decided to restore it.... and lo everything is back to normal .!...
The item was something to do with JAVA and is (was) located in Local Low\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache.... can`t remember the exact file name,except it ended in .do or .doe
the other item, which is still in quarantine is EXP/CVE-2010-0094.BA  also located in Local Low\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
As an added extra, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Flash Player  As both of these actions were done almost simultaneously, I don`t know which restored the laptop to normal!..
Any comments? Undecided
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Avira quarantine slows my laptop to a standstill !

Oldjim is a keen advocate of Avira whilst I tend to like Microsoft Security Essentials.  I must say, in comparative tests the Premium version of Avira usually beats MSE (although I presume it is not the Premium version you are running).  The one area I recall where MSE scored more highly than Avira was False Positives.  So Avira is more prone to false positives and perhaps that is what you have here?
However, there are many viruses that seek to exploit security holes in older versions of Java and they might well reside in the cache folder if you catch one.  Are you running the latest version of Java (6.29)?   
shutter
Community Veteran

I could be.../ should be.... running the latest Java    as usually when something wants to update, give it the ok..
how do I check?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You may be running an older version as well.
Go into Control Panel, Add Remove Programmes and see if there are several versions there.
If there are uninstall the earlier ones
shutter
Community Veteran

Only one listing for Java
Java (TM) 6 update 26 dated 13/10/2010
Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and that is badly out of date
the latest version is 6 update 29
http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Jim..... now showing update 29..... still with same date on install .
shutter
Community Veteran

Just finished my daily scan with Avira.... and it says this

Scan completed [The scan has been done completely.].
Number of files: 537601
Number of directories: 18724
Number of malware: 3
Number of warnings: 1
one of which is this
The file 'C:\Users\Gerry\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\56\69bbaXXXXXXXXXXXXX ( my XXXX  in that ref)
contained a virus or unwanted program 'JAVA/Exdoer.DH' [virus]
as noted above, I am now running the latest Jave update... .... any advice please?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Delete the file; it's just something that has been downloaded onto your computer when you visited a bad web site..  Hopefully it will not be able to do it's dirty-work as you have the latest version of Java installed. 
shutter
Community Veteran

This is the same file I mentioned in my original post.....

Quote from: shutter
After it`s daily scan, my copy of Avira reported two items of concern.....
so I duly "quarantined" them.... after which, my laptop seemed to stop dead on every page loading at about 95% according to the red progress bar (bottom right of screen)
suspecting that it was caused by the above "quarantine" action... I chose one to "restore" from the quarantine shed.... when I did select it, I got the following message
This object is a virus or unwanted programs. Are you sure you want to restore this.  YES    NO..
that worried me a little , so I declined.... however, trying to get the speedtester to work, was impossible, so I decided to restore it.... and lo everything is back to normal .!...
The item was something to do with JAVA and is (was) located in Local Low\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache.... can`t remember the exact file name,except it ended in .do or .doe

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I don't use Avira; Oldjim seems keen although he says he actually uses Kaspersky.
If you have a file identified as a virus and removing the file slows your computer to a crawl then:
1)  It could be a well-embedded virus that is not being removed properly.
2)  It could be a false positive
Or if it just keeps coming back you might be repeatedly visiting the same bad web site.
shutter
Community Veteran

Just to update this thread.....
Avira did it`s daily duty and dug out the above file again,.... so this time I have "quarantined! it....
did a MyBroadband speed test.... and no problem,... so hopefully everything is good again now...