Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast update has killed my netbook... and yahoo mail problems

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Avast update has killed my netbook... and yahoo mail problems

Hi all
I'm having a really shit time at the moment. The last 3 days have been nothing but trouble. My trouble this week has started with BT cocking up our phone line number change. It's gone progressively downhill from there.
I've suffered:

• A broken CPU fan while servicing the PC during the PN downtime

• An unusable PC due to the above

• A netbook which will no longer connect to yahoo or display yahoo email pages - in 3 browsers

• My router decided to pack up - Lucky I had 4 spare zoom routers

• An Avast update which will no longer let me logon to my desktop

• The spare computer then suffered a hard drive failure

• Grabbed another tower out the cupboard.. hard drive not recognised

• Grabbed another and had to set the clock back 2 years to keep zonealarm happy although it does work

So.. my netbook is fubar. Before even updating Avast I could not get into yahoo email. I tried 3 different browsers on 2 different routers and my neighbours wifi. No email. I wiped the cache etc.. but no difference.
Now, tonight I've updated my Avast. First time I did it through the software. Restarted and nothing - could login but not get a desktop just my wall paper. Rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled it. Downloaded the latest version from the avast site and installed that - same problem.
So.. it now appears my netbook has gone fubar for some very odd reason. It won't let me view yahoo email and it won't let me login with an upgraded avast.
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Avast update has killed my netbook... and yahoo mail problems

The problem you are experiencing sounds like Explorer.exe failing to run.  The computer loads but you just get a blank wallpaper.  If you do a CTRL ALT DEL and start Task Manager you will probably see that explorer.exe is not listed under Processes.  The most common cause of this problem is that a computer virus had attached itself to explorer.exe .  Your antivirus program removes the virus but that prevents explorer.exe from loading at all.  Of course, it could be a false positive but then presumably a vast number of Avast users would be similarly affected.   
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: ReedRichards
  Of course, it could be a false positive but then presumably a vast number of Avast users would be similarly affected.     
Cheesy Sorry - but i thought it was amusing  Embarrassed
7up
Community Veteran

Hi
Yes, oddly explorer wouldn't run. I hit the task manager and tried to start it via the new task option but it wouldn't run with messages saying the process could not be found etc. So I browsed right to it and nothing. It still wouldn't start.
So.. I'm stuffed!
I suppose installing ZA on it and seeing whats trying to get out is the next step..
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: okrzynska
I suppose installing ZA on it and seeing whats trying to get out is the next step..

You think so?  What you really need to do is to mess with the registry setting to remove the "debugger" entry - this thread gives the necessary information if you read it all the way through. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the SWMBO has a win XP Netbook with Avast, that update about twice a day, and absolutely no problem
and to ReedRichards disgust it also has ZoneAlarm
7up
Community Veteran

Well here is the latest:
For the first time in 8 years, I've been hit by a virus... or more specifically 2 of them. Both trojans, one being a rather nice little shit which apparently modifies the windows sockets to catch http connections to display its own adverts.
That explains why yahoo was screwed over 3 browsers. I'm running Dr Web now which claims its cured explorer.exe and winlogon.exe after avast complained it couldn't do anything...
Pain in the arse this netbook. Given a floppy drive and a startup disk I could of fixed this in under 20 minutes. Without that its one hell of a fight.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and to ReedRichards disgust it also has ZoneAlarm

No, no, I have no problem with anyone who knowingly inflicts all the hassles of ZoneAlarm on themselves.  ZoneAlarm has its pros and it has its cons.  It's unbalanced recommendations of ZoneAlarm that I cannot stand.  If pierre-pierre's SWMBO has it because she want's it then that is great; if she has it because pierre_pierre has told her it is necessary then she has my deepest sympathies.
However this is wandering off topic.  Pierre_pierre thinks that the Avast problem is not a false positive so it must be a real virus.  In which case it was likely masquerading as a debugger and now it has been removed okrzynska needs to remove the registry entry that tries to invoke it in order to get explorer.exe to run.  Perhaps his "Dr Web" program has done that for him - I don't know "Dr Web". 
7up
Community Veteran

I never heard of Dr Web before either until googling this malicious little git.. which turned up a lot of recommendations.
Downloaded it and skeptically gave it a go and its cured it. Wonders were worked. All gone!
Since scanned with Avast and Malwarebytes and again Dr Web and nothing is now found by any of them - and the best bit? I can get my desktop again... and once again yahoo works!
A miracle!