cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast finds virus in Diino client.

God
Grafter

Avast finds virus in Diino client.

I just carried out an Avast system scan and it reports a virus (ardamax-dm) in the yet to be installed Diino client that is in my downloads folder. Having downloaded a fresh version from the Diino website and scanning it the same virus is reported. Has anyone else seen this, is it a false positive?
I would be surprised if Diino have an infected client, but I won't ignore the possibility, annoyingly like many AV suppliers searching for the wirus on their website merely finds a reference to the virus name rather than useful info on payload etc.
If it turns out that it is a genuine virus I will be very impressed with Avast as neither AVG or Bitdefender have flagged the item before.
6 REPLIES 6
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Avast finds virus in Diino client.

Theres an Ardamax keylogger, but I can't find any information on  any specific strain of the virus you mentioned (like you, best I was able to find was "this is a virus").
God
Grafter

I have emailed their support asking why a commercial keylogger is included in the client software. I will post the response here for interested Diino users.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

just downloaded Diino_4.1_Setup.exe and KIS7 doesn't pick up anything - is this the correct file
God
Grafter

Client 4.1.0.0 does NOT show the virus. Version 4.1.2.0 DOES
I have had a reply from Diino as follows:
Hi Peter,
thanks for the screenshots. This bogus detection is already reported to Avast as we have had a few user reports about it. Please see their reply below.
Regards / Tomas
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ASW #SKX-700127]: Bogus virus report
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:56:51 +0200
Reply-To: techsupport@avast.com
To: tomas@bytek.se

Hello,
the false positive detection will be corrected and released in near future.
Best regards
Jirka Sejtko
virus analyst
Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: SKX-700127
Department: Virus
Priority: Low
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Of no relevance as it is a false positive but the download I referred to is for Version 4.1.2.0
God
Grafter

I notice that the free home version has script blocking disabled unlike the commercial / Pro version.
Is this a glaring hole or just an inconvenience?
If the nobbled version fails to block a script from a web page will another Avast agent pick it up as it executes? If not there seems little point running the free version.