cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast 8: Abortionware

Razer
Grafter

Avast 8: Abortionware

Just a heads up for anyone using Avast 7 and who wants to stay on version 7.
I had already read numerous posts on the avast forum from people having trouble with version 8 of avast, so I resolved to hold off until they'd sorted things out. I have, alas, just spent all my waking time since last evening (backups to be thankful for) sorting out my computer after being tricked into updating my version 7 of Avast. The program tells you that there is a new version available - 7.0.1483, and so I clicked to update. There is no such version. It is version 8, and it completely trashed my system. I couldn't do anything with it but boot up and log on. Thereafter, it just locked up. So if you want to stay on version 7 for the time being, don't click that 'update program' button.
After my own experience and reading of many others, I'm definitely convinced version 8 is an abortion of a program.
12 REPLIES 12
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Avast 8: Abortionware

I agree with the above. I tried it with Windows 8 x64 & the PC failed to boot. Luckily I keep weekly Acronis image backups, so within 6 minutes I had my old system back! Try Norton 360, currently half price & much better Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

seems that I am leading a charmed life....I am on version 8.0.1483 and hadn`t even noticed I had updated...no problems booting up or any other sort of problems.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine (on Windows 7 32 bit) kept reporting a fail on the update then eventually did update but said it was not activated when it was.  Simply uninstalled then re-installed fresh and, as shutter, no problems at all since.
I think I've had some issues with every anti-virus I've ever used (Including Norton & MSE).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
colintivy
Rising Star

I have updated to Avast Free 8 on Win 7. no troubles at all, the only change visible is the pop-up telling me that it has updated (automatically) and generally smarter eye candy.
thejudge
Rising Star

v. 8.0.1483 here (Win 7 64-bit) and no problems.
Scribe
Grafter

The update from version 7 to v 8 installed on my netbook without any problems, but unless you want the new 'software updater' to automatically update all your programs, including browsers and Adobe, you need to go to 'settings' and untick the box. However, even if you do this, you still get update advisory popups, and clicking on the 'stop' button only works until you restart the PC. I turned it off completely by going to the PC's control panel>all programs>uninstall or change>(click Avast)>uninstall>change >next>(untick software updater)>next> finish.
Pity they can't make it easier - but perhaps they will with an update!
thejudge
Rising Star

Yes, Orbit Downloader has played the same trick with their 'Software Updater'. Only with that one, you actually have to go into the program's folder and re-name a .dll to stop the b*gger.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Avast program update crashing a users PC on bootup after the upgrade? Surely not.. not like its ever happened before  Roll_eyes
I dread upgrading Avast. It's done this exact same thing to me 4, yes FOUR times. I don't think its just version 8 at fault, I think its Avasts programmers themselves who still haven't quite got the hang of it.
The best thing to do is completely uninstall the old version and then install the new version from fresh. That seems to work well.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Totally agree Sprite, uninstall and install the new version seems to avoid problems.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Razer
Grafter

I would have tried that Sprite, but for the fact that it completely fucked up my computer. I couldn't install or uninstall anything else and several things just weren't working properly. The only way I could get rid of it was to boot into safe mode first and use the removal tool so that I could even begin to get around my system for some minor backups, then I had to restore my whole disk sector backup, and I thought 'well I'm not fucking touching that again'.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Razer
The only way I could get rid of it was to boot into safe mode first

Thats also what I had to do too. When I say uninstall I mean using any means necessary and that includes safemode or (if the installer won't work in safe mode) renaming the program directory so that the startup links fail to work. You can also delete all the files but the uninstaller then boot back into normal windows and use the uninstaller to clean up.
There are many little tricks you can play on avast to get rid of it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Razer
Grafter

I know, but this is what I'm saying, Sprite. Even having gotten rid of it, my computer was [Censored]. I couldn't install or uninstall anything else properly during OR after Avast 8. My computer was in no fit state to even take a fresh install post removal. With that kind of damage I wasn't prepared to go anywhere near V8 after restoring my back up. The forced removal only enabled me to get around my system enough to do some 'minor' folder backups before restoring the disk backup.
EDIT:
I may try it again after a short while. I need to do my WU and allow my system to run long enough to be content that those updates are fine enough for me to make a new disk sector backup. Only then will I either try V8 again from uninstalling 7 first, or I may try Bitdefender free again - if I can get the latest version instead of bizarrely being served the 2009 version from their site.