cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Import of pics not working ( NOW FIXED ! ! )

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Auto Import of pics not working ( NOW FIXED ! ! )

Windows Vista Home Premium
For ever and a day, until a couple of days ago, I just plugged in my camera and the pics automatically downloaded and erased.... as it was happening, a box appeared in the bottom right corner of the screen advising me that  windows was downloading the pics, and showed a thumbnail of the pics as they downloaded, and also a progress bar.... the thumbnail was then re-shown as the pics were erased from the camera.  
the destination folder of the pics was "Digital camera downloads 2010" and a subfolder with the current date was then provided for the pics to be downloaded to... easy to find them by date..
a couple of days ago, I did not see the box and thought the pics had been downloaded , but they had not, and were still on the camera, so I had to go to Removable disc F:/ and download them and then delete them on the camera... they then had the "camera number" as the file number whereas the above system gave them a new number 001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  etc....
I have looked at Auto Play and the setting is for  "Import pictures using windows".... which is what I had set before... I have changed it and then saved it and then changed it back again and saved that, but still no joy on the auto download.
anyone any ideas, Please?
39 REPLIES 39
barky
Grafter

Re: Auto Import of pics not working

windows/microsoft update to blame perhaps?
have never transferred pictures directly from camera to computer (always used a card reader/card slot) so perhaps the same would have happened to me ... who knows?
bit of bulk renaming will fix your problem though
remember now: I disabled auto import aeons ago as it dragged in all files off flash drives which I considered not worth the security/malware risk
shutter
Community Veteran

So , why should a microsoft update STOP a "feature" from working as it always has done?.....
surely updates, are supposed to "CURE" problems,.... not make the program (microsoft windows) not work....
and if you think it might be an update. perhaps you could tell me which one,,.as all my updates go on automatically.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
I have looked at Auto Play and the setting is for  "Import pictures using windows".... which is what I had set before... I have changed it and then saved it and then changed it back again and saved that, but still no joy on the auto download.
anyone any ideas, Please?
What have you changed It to Gerry? Try changing It to " Ask me  every time "
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

The "Auto-Play" page starts off with this sentence...
"Choose what happens when you insert each type of media or device"
with a check box "Use Auto Pla for all media and devicese"
then lists the things that can "autoplay"... where it says Pictures... the choice is "Import pictures using windows".
view pictures
copy pictures
create copies
open folder
take no action
aske me everytime....
I have always had it set to "Import pictures..... cos it did everything automatically, and  I could just plug my camera in and it downloaded 300 pics and deleted them.,renamed them and put them in the due date folder where I could view them...
Just tried it with "Ask me everytime".... but it doesn`t even come up with the usual box of choices.... just shows the camera as "Removable disk F:/ (and the pic is there for me to download manually)... OK for one or two . but a right pain in the rectum when there are more than a couple of pics, which there usually is 100 ish, minimum....
Additional test.... just now....
Have Audio CD to "Play audio CD using windows Media Player"    put in a Glenn Miller CD which usually plays automatically, but not this time.... again, it appears as D:/ DVD player  _ Audio CD and when I double click on the CD icon (filename) it starts to play with WMP...
so there is something missing somewhere..... but where ? ? ?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

What about doing a system restore to a time It did work?
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm .... might be an idea...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Some cameras have a PTP mode and a USB disc mode. You haven't by any chance changed the camera setting from PTP to USB disc ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

There's this tutorial for windows seven but don't see why you could not try It with Vista.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2630-default-programs-set-programs-default-associations.html?fi...
shutter
Community Veteran

Tried the System restore..... said it did not finish properly,... tried the camera afterwards....but still not auto downloading...
the camera is set to "USB MODE"  >  "PC"  as it always has been....
The last time it downloded properly was 12th OCT... could only restore back to 18th... (or later)  but it did not work,... so back to square one.. !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Tried the System restore..... said it did not finish properly,...

Could be you are running Norton or Kaspersky or similar security software.  Try running System Restore from Safe Mode or Startup Repair Mode.
shutter
Community Veteran

No, I use AVG 2011...... (which does a scheduled scan at 10:00 daily) so doubt if that had anything to do with the failed system restore....
am also having speed issues at the moment so will have to put this job on hold for a while until the speed issue is sorted ....
thanks for help so far..... and any more ideas will be useful....  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I would regard System Restore not working as a more serious problem than a difficulty with importing pictures!  I still suggest you try starting System Restore from Safe Mode or Startup Repair Mode as this will help to establish if it is being blocked by some other program or has gone more seriously wrong.
shutter
Community Veteran

I can live without system restore, but I need the speed to be stabilized before I go messing around re-booting the laptop every time I try a sys restore... If the worst comes to the worst, I do have a Vista Disc and I can easily buy a new hdd to set it up on, and transfer my files and folders using Linux Mint, and/or my hdd caddy...
(I have only one or two times used SYS RES before in over 10 years ...... Wink )
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I can live without system restore............

You can live without one of your kidneys but that doesn't mean it's a good idea if it can be avoided.
(I have only one or two times used SYS RES before in over 10 years ...... Wink )

Well that's hardly surprising if it doesn't work!  It might have been a quick and easy fix to your current problem but we'll never know.