cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio files not playing.

Devonian
Grafter

Audio files not playing.

Guys, I have windows 8 64bit running on a Dell Inspiron Q15-R.
It runs perfectly except for 1 thing.
Audio files..mp3's etc, whether connected to windows games, or a music file, that is saved to the laptop will not play.
Music online plays fine, the error beeps etc from windows play, it is just installed music files.
I have checked every setting, and they are fine.
Can anybody help?
10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Audio files not playing.

Download and install  GOM player..... it is free.... that will play just about anything......

http://player.gomlab.com/eng/download/
if it doesnt.... then there is probably something wrong with you drivers methinks.....
Devonian
Grafter

I tried that... and it doesn't work.
The little bar moves across suggesting the file is playing, but there is no sound.
Cd's play fine, there is sound from youtube etc.. it is just audio files that are actually saved to the computer, it's strange.
I have checked the drivers are up to date, all are correct.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

OK... heres another .... download and install.....

http://www.freemake.com/free_audio_converter/
Never used this one so can`t say if it works or not.... but might be worth a try... you may have the file as an .mp3.... but you may not have the correct codecs installed... converting them to another file type may work....
Devonian
Grafter

Nope.  Shocked
They were working, then out of nowhere, they just stopped.
I've used restore points and no joy either.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I'm guessing it's a problem with a volume control somewhere. Maybe check Windows volume control while a file is silently playing in whatever program, then you might see its per-program volume control.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I had this exact problem a few years back, problem is I cant remember exactly how I resolved it  Roll_eyes
I think it was a setting in Windows Media Player or even the advanced section of the pc volume controls somewhere that was set to something other than the 'Creative Soundblaster' card I had fitted, once changed it was fine.
[Just spotted this which might help? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-pictures/no-sound-in-windows-media-pl.../i]
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Do you have a speaker icon on the system tray?
Right click it and see if you get an option to 'open volume mixer' (do this with Media Player running), it should have separate volume levels per application - see if Media Player is muted.
You may also have a control panel entry specific to your sound card with similar settings.  In some I think it is possible to change the output of music, for example, to the line jacks or a 'digital out' instead of the speakers.  If you have a hardware specific volume application you may have both the windows volume mixer and the hardware vendor's mixer active (sometimes you may even have two speaker icons - visible or hidden - in the system tray).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Devonian
Grafter

Cheers for the advice guys.
I have already checked all of this twice over, and no joy.
It is so wierd, it is only music files, and games soundtrack that is affected, dvd's, skype, iplayer.. all of that plays fine.
Devonian
Grafter

FIXED!!
How?  No idea!!!
I tried a full factory reset.. didn't work, deleted and reinstalled the sound drivers, nope.. went to volume.. pressed mute then unmute.. it's working!!!
Computers astound me!!
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Result !  Smiley