Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio CD/DVD for car burner software wanted

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Audio CD/DVD for car burner software wanted

I want to burn 50 tracks, to a CD or DVD... total running time is about 180 mins .

would prefer them to be on one CD/DVD disc.

Running  Linux Mint 20.1 with WINE 6.1  also VirtualBox6.0 & extension to run Windows 7 professional.

Have tried ( and failed ) with Windows type cd burning software   ( in WINE and VB6)  - Burnaware, NCH Express burner, Windows media player, and a few more.

Have tried  ( and failed ) with Linux recommended software... Brassero , XFburn, K3b, and a few others,

All of them present problems, of one kind or another... e.g. if I choose to burn them on a CD, it report that there is no recorder. or the medium is not a CD ( when putting in a writeable DVD) .

Have been on the Linux forums, and tried to follow some stuff on there, but all comes back to a negative result.

I can "write" files to the CD/DVD disc, ( as in copy and paste music files ).. so the DVD player/writer is proven to be working. and recognised.

On the Terminal...   enter the word " groups "  gives the following response.

gerry adm dialout cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare vboxusers .

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Audio CD/DVD for car burner software wanted

A few things might come into play (pun not intended) here @shutter , such as;

Are you trying to create an Audio CD or simply a 'data' CD with a list of files just copied on to it?

What type of CD will your car player handle; i.e. does it play mp3 etc. (from a 'data' CD) or just Audio CDs?

If you are trying to make an Audio CD then you won't get 180 minutes on 1 disc.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  OK... the car is 2010... so the FM radio/cd player WILL play MP3 files.. ( I have got about 5 CD`s I made when I was running WIndows...and all play perfectly. )  ( I used Burnaware for them ) .

EDIT EDIT EDIT ... yes I realize that 180 mins will not fit on one CD  hence wanting to write to a DVD... which is possible, as I have done it on Windows... ( as mentioned above )

I can "write" files to a cd ( as Data Files )  so I know that the "writer" is working on it...   despite several software saying they cannot detect a recording device. Here is a selection of screen shots from various softwares.

burnaware unable to detect recorder.png

Acoustica can`t find the recorder.....

acoustica cd recorder not found..png

Express Burn by NCH software... shows it working on the files, after clicking on Burn MP3 dvd

exp.png

But then it goes  all stupid and says...... 

express burn error scsi.png

K3b shows that the "device" is recognised....... and it`s capabilities..   but still does not "burn" the DVD......

K3B SETTINGS 2 DEVICES.png

and XFBurn  just doesn`t want to know.....

xfburn not supported.png

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

As you're aware @shutter , I'm not familiar with Linux, and also none of those programs you mentioned, so I'd be absolutely stumped with that.

But looking at some of the error messages;

1.  Burnaware - says "run as administrator" - have you done that?

My original reply was just to try and get some more information about what you were trying to achieve CD format-wise, which at least seems to have established you're not going for Audio CD.  Wink

But ...

@shutter wrote:

I can "write" files to the CD/DVD disc, ( as in copy and paste music files ).. so the DVD player/writer is proven to be working. and recognised.

... something seems a bit strange if you can do that.  Can you actually burn the files mentioned above, or just compile a list ready for burning?

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  "run as adminstrator"..... but ... like all other "useful/useless" messages  on the other softwares.. it does not say how..

There is no "menu"  and  therefore no "option" to .... Run as administrator.

As mentioned... I can "write" ( aka record)  music files as data, to a cd  ... but ... obviously, that cd will not play in the car CD player. but... those same files will "play" from the cd in the cdplayer tray.  on the laptop. 

(not going for an Audio CD ) ... rather wanting and AUDIO DVD...  purely because of the playing time length ..

Point of interest... I have also got an external CD/DVD player that I can plug into the USB... and that functions in the same was as the internal cd/dvd player.   ( same results on another machine, with the same programs ) .

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

@RobPN  "run as adminstrator"..... but ... like all other "useful/useless" messages  on the other softwares.. it does not say how..

There is no "menu"  and  therefore no "option" to .... Run as administrator.

Using Windows, to run a program as administrator, you can just right-click on the .exe file or its shortcut, and choose that option.  Or if you want to always run as administrator without having to do that, you can change the settings in the shortcuts properties.  Linux is probably different.

shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah... I know that...but it doesn`t work on Burnaware,... in WINE ...   get the menu, and click on run as admistrator.. give the password... and  nothing happens...  Cry

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I'm glad I've steered clear of Linux, but perhaps @Mook or @VileReynard can help.  Wink

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

As mentioned... I can "write" ( aka record)  music files as data, to a cd  ... but ... obviously, that cd will not play in the car CD player. but... those same files will "play" from the cd in the cdplayer tray.  on the laptop. 

@shutter  

You mentioned earlier that you could copy and paste files to the disc, but have you 'finalised' the disc?

If the session is still open, that might be the reason your car player won't play the files.

Just a thought.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't write MP3 files to a CD 😀

WAV files (finalised) should work.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   an interesting thought...... so I thought I would get the 5 DISCS from the car... and check ... 3 are WAV files... and the other 2 are MPG3 files.   All play perfectly well on the car cd player.

Another interesting point... on two of those DISCS   there are over 80 tracks.... however, they are in varying quantities in about 6 folders/albums... so that may be the way to go, to get all my tracks on one disc as none of them are DVD`s.

Providing, of course, I can get a program to recognise that there is a recording device installed on this laptop ! ! ! ..

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

If you use standard (uncompressed) WAV files, you won't get 180 mins. worth on a CD.

What are your MPG3 files (MP3 maybe? - presumably that's a typo)?

Further to the matter of finalising the disc, have you checked if the disc which will play on your laptop but won't play in the car has been finalised?

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN   Yes I know the normal size for a CD is 79 mins

Yes MPG3 was a typo !   ( my Skoda does over 60 mpg ! )

The disc I used was just a "trial"... i.e. to see if I could just write files to the cd .. it was not "burned" as you would expect... so no, it was not "closed" on completion.  ( same as using a USB to transfer files from one computer to another ) .

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

@RobPN  &  @VileReynard 

Well, now... after trying a further 4 cd burners... ( all of which did not burn ! ). I gave BRASERO another go... used  WAV files... and  YAY !.. it burned the disc... and it played in the car.

only got 20 tracks on it, though... so gonna play around with it for the rest of the day, and see if I can use "folders" with it... same as the other CD  I mentioned. 

Can`t understand why , suddenly.. Brasero can find the recording device... and all the others can`t find it... .. nor can I understand, why yesterday , it could not find it either.

Onwards and upwards.... ( we hope ! )

(thanks for the input guys Smiley  )

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

So if you open the CD (the one which will play) in a file explorer can you still see the files as WAV?

If you can then it seems you've burned a data CD, if not then I would say you've burned an Audio CD, BICBW.

Glad you're getting somewhere now @shutter , so I'll bow out.  Wink