cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempts to login to wifi from a device without an aerial.

kjpetrie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Attempts to login to wifi from a device without an aerial.

Yesterday I found this in my router's log:

May 2 16:25:23	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 16:24:09	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 16:14:09	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 16:04:09	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:58:19	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:56:51	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:55:00	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:53:18	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:52:05	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:50:55	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Info 	May 2 15:49:54	LOGIN wireless station [xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx] can't get authorized.

Where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the MAC address of my webcam's wifi interface. The camera has no aerial attached because the wifi is very unreliable and I don't use it, but it does have the correct router log in details. The camera is 25 feet away from the router. I can't think why the camera would suddenly decide to connect wirelessly to the router and if it did I doubt it could do so at that distance without its aerial, and if it could, as it has the correct set up for the router, why would it have managed to contact the router but failed to log in?

The alternative is that someone knew the MAC address of the camera, found the router was open to it and tried to log in, but how would they know the correct MAC address to use?