cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching 4TB Drive to Hub One via USB

tonybailey5577

Attaching 4TB Drive to Hub One via USB

I have just gone fibre, and was assured when purchasing, that my 4TB Toshiba drive would be good to go as a network drive when attached via USB. I managed to attach a small drive with no problem. Both are formatted  NTFS, but Hub One does not see the Toshiba drive when attached. Fingers crossed someone can give me simple step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance

Tony

5 REPLIES 5
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Attaching 4TB Drive to Hub One via USB

At a guess I would say the hub one firmware is not compatible with Guid Partition Table format required for disks over 2TB.
The smaller drive will have a legacy Master Boot Record partition table which is why the hub one can read it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What kind of speed would you get out of the Hub 1 <--> USB connection?

Is it just a USB2 connection?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Do a google on a Home Hub 5 USB Drive, its the same as the Hub One, its mot capable, I think its ok up to 64Gb - but do the search.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It can handle more than 64GB, I've used a 500GB drive on a Hub One.
Convin_Illusion
Dabbler

If there is no data on the drive in question a quick test for that would be to repartition the drive as MBR [with the partition only covering 2TB or less] and then seeing if the Hub One can see it. If so then that's the mystery solved.

If not then it's something else, and more diagnostics are needed.

My bigger concern is that the Hub One is deeply insecure and plugging a HDD with all your data into it to share on your network is asking for it to be a) stolen b) erased c) altered d) all of the above.
You are far better off using a dedicated NAS with proper security, which will also be a whole lot faster.

Convincing Illusion

If seeing is beleiving... Then what happens when what you're seing is an Illusion?