Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus routers?

JayChan
Dabbler

Asus routers?

Hi all,
I'm in process of getting my fibre setup within a week or so and have been looking at Asus routers to replace the default one supplied via plusnet. I have a few questions if anyone be so kind to spare a few moments. My current situation is I live in 2 bed purpose built flat so I assuming wireless reception will be generally better since the walls are paper thin anyway. Question being is whether it's worth shelling out for the extra to go for Asus N66u? or would the 56u would suffice? Or any other Asus router you could recommend? (bear in mind I have no particular interest in installing ) Also In light of the Asus hack earlier in the year would it be safe to still stick with Asus?
Any suggestions/experience with those particular routers will be helpful. Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Asus routers?

I would use the Plusnet one and see how you go
If you need to change an all in one one router may be worth considering
I have the Billion 8800NL and it does everything I want
However if you want gigabit LAN or Dual Band Wireless AC then you need to look at more expensive ones - this is the present list of all in one VDSL routers http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I recently bought the ASUS  DSL ac68u  Wink and i can say i am happy , and i have a spare power socket now  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
JayChan
Dabbler

I heard many people had stabilitiy issues with the modem side of the ASUS  DSL ac68u? I take it that isn't the case with yourself?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Nope  Wink
no problems at all , i believe the older firmware there was problems , but is sweet now  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
GG
Grafter

I can vouch for the AC68U-AC1900 All-in-one.
I run it on my fibre connection and stability, line dependant, is fine. The QoS, Firewall, dual band wireless, VPN, DDNS and other features make it well worth the initial investment it is also an xDSL unit capable of ADSL and VDSL. The four lan ports and single USB 3 hub don't hurt either.
Fairly feature rich and ability to export (save) configs make it essential equipment for me. Basically an install and forget device.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Ive had the RT-AC56U for 6 months now and it works fine no wireless drops Smiley
JayChan
Dabbler

Is the modem/router combination easy to setup? Haven't had much experience dealing with combination routers. Only used third party routers before without modem built in.