cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus has unveiled the Padphone.. it's really cool!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Asus has unveiled the Padphone.. it's really cool!

http://www.digitalversus.com/mobile-phone/mwc-2012-asus-padfone-smartphone-tablet-surprising-stylus-...
Phone that slots into the tablet, stylus that acts as a bluetooth earpiece.. very groovy bit of kit!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Asus has unveiled the Padphone.. it's really cool!

I used to feel sorry for the older generation who didn't understand computers and the internet - guess what - I am now one of them.
I can't think of any possible reason why I would want or need such a thing.
I just ordered a new mobile phone (it was cheaper than buying a new battery for my exiting one which failed completely - it swelled out to double thickness  Shocked ) and it makes calls and sends texts and not much else
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Beam me up Scottie!  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Dear Santa.....
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
I used to feel sorry for the older generation who didn't understand computers and the internet - guess what - I am now one of them.
I just ordered a new mobile phone (it was cheaper than buying a new battery for my exiting one which failed completely - it swelled out to double thickness  Shocked )

For me it's an eyesight thing, I have to take my glasses off to read my phones (plural) screens, and as for smartphones, I also need very small fingers, cue stylus.
At least I know which are the number keys without reading them, same for alpha characters, after many years use.
Thankfully, some of my phones display very large numbers when dialling, for speech calls.
For longish texts ( >10 chr$), I compose on the web using free texts from my providers, to send to my F&F (Family & Friends) phone, then forward the text directly to them from my F&F phone.
I always buy my mobile phones in pairs, never paying more than £20 PAYG, backup & as you say, it's cheaper than a new battery in many cases, though most of my batteries seem to last 5 years or more.
Spare battery kept in the fridge, 50% charge, as recommended.
My first mobile, was a handbag sized Motorola !
Used for business.

Quote from: w23
Dear Santa.....

2013, it's not released till April 2013.
However, I wouldn't buy Asus, having had problems with them in the past.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Oldjim
I just ordered a new mobile phone (it was cheaper than buying a new battery for my exiting one which failed completely - it swelled out to double thickness  Shocked ) and it makes calls and sends texts and not much else

I've always had pretty rubbish phones to be honest. My current phone is a Samsung E1120 - £15 from Tesco:

Looks basic? Thats because it is! It does however have a caller blacklist (handy for the **** of a boss I had at the time of purchase) and predictive text messaging. It also has to be said, of all the phones I've had, this has been the most robust. I can thow it, drop it, bounce it off a wall, even watch it bounce of a railway sleeper where I volunteer.. it just keeps on working. It's got a few scratches understandably but the last time I threw it to demonstrate this robustness the battery didn't even fall out  Smiley Cheap as chips and solid as a rock. I also get a superior reception to many of the phones I've had in the past.
It must be said though, I really do like the look of this new phonepad from asus, I really would like to get my hands on one.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

If your eyes are a bit weak and you have trouble using a mobile phone it is worth considering the Doro 610. Mrs Adair frightens the optician when she needs new spectacle lens grinding, but gets on well with her Doro  phone.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My eyes are not too bad, just my specs are for long distance.
£90 is a bit much anyway, thanks all the same.
As I said, most of my texts are originated on my iMac keyboard anyway.