cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RT-N16 not talking to D-Link 320T ADSL modem properly

octafish
Grafter

Asus RT-N16 not talking to D-Link 320T ADSL modem properly

I have a D-Link 320T ADSL modem which ran into my KCorp 108 G router very happily.  Reliable and as fas t as I'm likely to get (6Mbps).
However, I bought an Asus RT-N16 router because of its facilities, N specification and reviews.  I've set up a variety of modems, routers and modem/routers and though it should all be plain sailing especially given the excellent web interface of the Asus.
However the Asus insists on WAN settings rather than simply pick up what's served up from the router.  It offers various settings including Dynamic IP, PPPoE, Static IP and a few others.  None work except for the Static IP setting.  However my connection 'speed' has dropped to a steady 0.5Mbps; the upload is sometimes marginally faster (I'm on Business Broadband).
Either there is some basic incompatibility between PN's set-up and the router OR there's something I'm missing.
PN support haven't flagged it up to me as an incompatible router and have suggested using the Dynamic setting but this breaks the connection. 
I've asked Asus support but they haven't any pointers nor have they said that their modem won't work with either PN or the D-Link.
Is anyone able to offer any pointers?
Thanks.  S
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Asus RT-N16 not talking to D-Link 320T ADSL modem properly

I guess you've got the 320T modem set to pppoa, have you tried setting it to bridge mode and then setting the RT-N16 WAN config to pppoe using your Plusnet userid and password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

octafish
Grafter

Thank you!  Something I haven't thought of....and don't really know how to sort out but can try digging around.  The router has settings for bridge mode.  Would this work?
S
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The router has settings for bridge mode.  Would this work?

No, you need to set the 320T modem to 'bridge mode', it has that option, I've just checked the manual. That will then just bridge the ADSL to Ethernet, then you can set the RT16 router WAN config to PPPoE, enter your PlusNet username and password and it will make the PPP connection to PlusNet.
I downloaded the manual for the RT16 but I'm afraid its pretty rubbish and doesnt show any screenshots of the setup so I cant help too much with that end of the setup. Only problem with this setup is that once you've set the modem to bridge mode you may lose the ability to get to its setup via a web browser so just check you know where the factory reset button is on the modem, at least then if it all goes pear shaped you can get it back to factory defaults and access it via a web browser again.
Ok, I've read the manuals a bit more and lets just ignore 'bridge mode' for a moment and try once more to set it up in the way you currently have it with the Kcorp router. The RT16 WAN setting should be in Dynamic IP so that it gets a WAN IP from the 320T. Now I think what the problem might be is that the default LAN subnet for the RT16 is 192,168.1.x, which is the same as the 320T ( hence it not working ). You need to set the LAN subnet on the RT16 to something like 192.168.2.x on the RT16. The manual's rubbish as i said above but I guess you need to go into the 'advanced setting' for the LAN.
Hope that helps , if you cant work out what to set in the LAN settings then can you post a screenshot of the appropriate page and I'll try to advise... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

octafish
Grafter

Thank you ever so much for the help.  I'll try this when I get back home later today.
S
octafish
Grafter

MisterW,
I can get the Asus  to work on Dynamic but the speed is just as slow.  I get teh following message "You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N16. ".  This doesn't appear when set to Static IP but all is again very slow.
I changed the LAN IP from 192.168.1.1.  to 168.1.2.  The modem is 192.168.1.1.
The LAN addresses are set to run in the range 100-254.
Again any ideas very welcome.  Thanks.  S
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I don't think this http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=11&model=RT-N15&id=20090512235551362&page=1&SLanguage=e... really helps you, but at least it looks like you're not the only person with a problem...
It looks like the router firmware might be a bit 'iffy'
Have a google for "You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address" ...

octafish
Grafter

Yes, I've done some googling on this and I see what you mean. 
However, as far as I can see I'm the only person experiencing download speed problems as opposed to problems with Download Manager, for example.  This makes me think that there must be something in the settings which would solve this. I remain confident because in all other respects it's a lovely router.
I could try the new beta firmware but the words 'beta' and 'firmware' used together always make me apprehensive..........
Steve