cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning IP address and gateway

dgk
Grafter

Assigning IP address and gateway

For  Some time I have been using a BT Voyager router to access the Internet  but as I have  bought a laptop with wireless capabilities I have just obtained from Plusnet a Thompson 585 wireless router.
The router does not seem to be working correctly. It has been suggested to me to use its  wireless capabilities but to obtain access to the Internet through my BT Voyager. I need to take note of the IP address and gateway assigned to the network by the BT Voyager. And then manually set the IP address and gateway into my wireless network properties.
How do I do this?
I am using windows XP professional.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Assigning IP address and gateway

The router does not seem to be working correctly. It has been suggested to me to use its  wireless capabilities but to obtain access to the Internet through my BT Voyager.

The PlusNet router will be under warranty, I think it would be simpler to try and find out if its not working becuase of a configuration problem or an actual fault with the router, rather than to try and use it just for wireless as you propose. If its a hardware fault then PlusNet will replace it.
Can we start with what lights are on the router when you connect it up ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dgk
Grafter

Mister W, I think you're right long-term, and plus net have said they are willing to replace the router, but this will also take a little time and I have a specific short-term need for a wireless capability.
All the lights on the Thompson router came on as described in the set up literature, and the laptop displayed the plus net wireless network and also the plus net network when connected with an ethernet cable. I got as far as the screen which asked for my username and password but these were not accepted. The gentleman from the plus net support that I spoke to thought that as my line was okay, everything worked fine with my BT Voyager router, then the problem must be with the Thompson.
I am however keen and are willing to try anything to get it working !!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

All the lights on the Thompson router came on as described in the set up literature

So the Power,DSL and Internet lights are all green ?
In that case it's not a router problem so I'm confused.
My guess is that the Internet light is not ON , am I correct ?
I got as far as the screen which asked for my username and password but these were not accepted.

I'm confused a little by this, if the Internet light on the router is ON then it already has your correct username & password.
Are you referring to the screen in section 4 item 3 of the setup guide http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/t585v7new.shtml#routerLights ?
If that's the case then try going through the manual setup as described in the next section of the guide, you must have a valid Plusnet username & password, they must already be configured in your BT Voyager router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

prichardson
Grafter

The description of your problem would suggest that the cause of the problem is the use of the Voyager modem.
The Thomson TG585 has an integrated ADSL modem and should be used to replace the Voyager and would cause problems if used in conjunction with it (though there are occasions when when you could do this, but we are talking quite advanced use).
Is there any specific reason you are using the Voyager at the same time as the Thomson?
dgk
Grafter

I have just tried again to connect using Thompson router.
I am following the instructions provided. The power light came on first, followed by the wireless light, then the broad band light flashing initially, then on continually. Then the Internet light came on, flashing occasionally. At this point following the instructions instruction number 3, I connected the laptop to the rooter with a ethernet cable. I opened Internet Explorer  and got the page depicted in instruction number four, titled connecting to the Internet. The webpage had “broadband setup” at the top. I entered my username and password and receive the message “you need to provide a valid username and password combination to continue”
Immediately prior to trying the Thompson, I had being connected using my Voyager.
dgk
Grafter

P Richardson, thanks, I have not tried using the Voyager modem and the Thompson together. The Voyager works fine and it is what I've been using for the past couple of years. The Thompson has just been supplied by plus net and I've tried to use it, by itself, following the instructions.
I could really do with with a wireless facility before Saturday night.
I spoke on the telephone last night to your support staff one of which suggested a workaround might be to use the Thompson to provide the wireless facility whilst using the Voyager to access the Internet.
.” As per our conversation this isn't something that plusnet would normall support, I know this from my own experience with networking. To use the wireless of your thomson but internet through the BT voyager. You take note of the IP address and gateway assigned to your network by the BT voyager.
Plug your thomson into your BT voyager by ethernet, then manually set the IP address and gateway into your wireless network properties.”
I would give the above I go, but to add to do it!!
dgk
Grafter

I perhaps should have said, that I've just installed Windows 7 professional on the laptop. A clean install not an upgrade. So is it possible that some of the drivers are not right. Having said that I have had the laptop on the Internet using Windows 7 using my Voyager modem. Also when I was trying with the Thompson the laptop wireless page showed that it could see the plus net wireless.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Then the Internet light came on, flashing occasionally. At this point following the instructions instruction number 3, I connected the laptop to the rooter with a ethernet cable. I opened Internet Explorer  and got the page depicted in instruction number four, titled connecting to the Internet.

Ok, using your Voyager modem check your username and password on your account by logging into the portal at https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html?home=login, thats the ones you want for the router. Then go back to the Thomson and get it to the 'broadband setup' page. Then enter 192.168.1.254 into the IE address bar as shown in the guide a little further down below the 'The Internet light is OFF or Flashing after 5 minutes' heading. then follow the guide down to the screen to enter the username and password , the username you need here is now username@plusdsl' where username is the one you used to access the portal.
Then continue to follow the instructions, See if that does any better ....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@dgk, Did that work ?