cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ars techina article - How the 'Net works: an introduction to peering and transit

tex
Grafter

Ars techina article - How the 'Net works: an introduction to peering and transit

Came across this link the other day from my feeds: http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/peering-and-transit.ars
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Ars techina article - How the 'Net works: an introduction to peering and transit

not bad
techguy
Grafter

Re: Ars techina article - How the 'Net works: an introduction to peering and transit

There was a disagreement a couple of years ago between Cogent  and Level 3 (whom are termed two of the internet's largest Tier 1 providers which means that they operate the core backbones of the net)
Level 3 alleged that Cogent was presenting more traffic to its network than it was taking in return which Cogent denied, in response, :Level 3 stopped aanouncing routes to Cogent customers or routing traffic from Cogent's customers to those it peered with or who bought transit from it which lead to huge swathes of the Internet becoming inacessible where an ISP/hosting provider/company did not either have connections to both or to parties not involved in the dispute.
This is one of the reasons Internet Exchanges such as the London InterNet eXchange (LINX) of which PN are a member and the PAIX (Palo Alto Internet Exchange) in the States developed so that providers could share the costs of setting up and running a shared switch infrastructure which they could peer over, thus providing more efficient connections by reducing round trip times and allowing peering sessions to be established with the minimum of hardware requirements while the switch hardware was owned by a not for profit third party which they all owned equally by paying a subscription based on the connection capacity (the minimum for LINX I believe is a 100 Mbps port on a LINX switch), you can find more info on their site at http://www.linx.net
I think networking is a fascinating subject which is why I am studying to move into this area
tex
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
There was a disagreement a couple of years ago between Cogent  and Level 3

More recently it has been Cogent vs Sprint (another large Tier 1 provider).
techguy
Grafter

Ah yes forgot about Sprint.
Blimey, good job PN have other transit connections in addition to Cogent, isn't it?
From what I've observed by tracing routes to sites and servers I use a lot of PN's traffic goes via TeliaSonera or LINX.