Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arguments for owning your own website

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Arguments for owning your own website

I am on the committee of an organisation which has a .co.uk website.
To my surprise I have found that the site name is owned by the hosting company and not by the organisation.
I intend to raise this at the next meeting but I need some good arguments.
Can the experts here help in this.
The obvious ones I can think of are that they are stuck with the present (expensive) hosting company and if the company goes bust the name will probably be lost.
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Arguments for owning your own website

Most hosting companies will allow the transfer of a domain name to another provider. Is that not the case here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hi Jim
Are you saying that when you put the domain name into something like this and pick your .co.uk that the organisation is not named as the registrant?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend

correct, although I used whois
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Bob
Most hosting companies will allow the transfer of a domain name to another provider. Is that not the case here?
Bob,
Perhaps I wasn't too clear.
This is not a case of moving the site to another hosting company but that the owner of the site is shown as the hosting company not the organisation.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

So I presume someone will be asking the hosting company how much they want for the domain name.
I hope it doesn't become a case for Nominet's dispute resolution service
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
klyne
Grafter

I got my Caravantravels domain via www.seem.co.uk and that is shown as owned by me. Also the domain I have just register via Streamline is also shown as owned by me on WHOIS. Is it anything to do with the type of hosting company, i.e is it a free one?
David
puddy
Grafter

I have noticed with whois it gives out your name and address to anybody who looking if you own a web site and its listed. 
What happened to the data protection act?
Never got a reply when I raised this a few weeks ago
Puddy
Swift
Dabbler

If your a sole trader you can opt out of the whois by going into your domain control panel where then your address would be hidden.
Not applicable

Quote from: puddy
I have noticed with whois it gives out your name and address to anybody who looking if you own a web site and its listed. 

When you register you give permission for your details to be held and distributed for enquiries re: the domain you register.
You can opt to keep your details private, but only if you have registered the domain as an individual or as a sole trader IIRC.
PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: Swift
If your a sole trader you can opt out of the whois by going into your domain control panel where then your address would be hidden.

Any commercial use at all means you cannot opt out!
PunKrocker
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
To my surprise I have found that the site name is owned by the hosting company and not by the organisation.

I know my Bytehost domains with hosting also do this, I opted out of personal details as its a hobby website and now note it has an address in London 🙂  My other domains from UKreg are not done this way, just says my name and no address, this one is just the domain name with no hosting.