cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my files corrupted???

bubbalicious
Grafter

Are my files corrupted???

Can anyone clever know what has happened to the .avi files I have saved on my hard drive?Huh
I was backing my files up to DVD and when it came to my home movies something seems to be wrong. 
When I open the folder I use to store my movies they are all still listing with the name and format I chose (.avi) when I copied them from my camera and I know that I have looked at them before and they were fine!
But now they won't play and when I use windows explorer to look at them, firstly i notice that they are faded in colour to the other files there that I can open, and when I click on the .avi that should be my movie, explorer opens and everyone of these '.avi' now shows 2 files =  VMLT File (.vmlt)  &  VMLF File (.vmlf). 
When I try and open them and it says it 'cannot open this file', I have told it to search the internet for an appropriate program but it comes back with Windows saying it does not recognise it! 
I'm panicking, where have my videos gone, it is showing the same for every video I took of my Niece and Nephew and I don't know whether I have done something or if I can do anything about it.  Crazy Crazy Crazy
If someone can tell what has happened to these videos, I would really appreciate it - I'm just praying that I haven't lost them all.
Help Please??!!!
I am using Windows Vista if it makes any difference
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Are my files corrupted???

The usual culprit for that is the lack of an MP4 (MPEG4) codec.
Have you ever played the files before on your Vista machine and if so was this before upgrading to service pack 1.
To help what is the make and model of camcorder
Have a read of this http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=78560
Before doing anything I would wait and see if there are any other suggestions as installing codecs at random can cause all sorts of trouble.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Hi Oddjim,
Yes I have played the files before on my Vista machine,  and can still play some other .avi movies saved in the same folder! 
Looking at my Windows Update History, Vista Service Pack 1 failed when it attempted to install it about a month ago! I know that I watched the movies before the attempted update but not until now have I tried to look at them after it failed! I can also see that some of the movies that copied to my laptop were added before SP1 failed are still okay  -  annoyingly not my favourite ones!!
I don't use a camcorder, just 2 digital cameras that take movies as well as stills, these being a Canon Powershot A710is & Fuji Finepix S5000, both use SD cards if that means anything?
I have heard of 'codecs' before but I have no experience of doing anything with them - I read the link you kindly included, they sound terrifying, and I will DEFINITELY follow your warning as I don't want anymore trouble than I have already!
I did wonder whether if I backed up the existing movies as they are even though they won't play and totally wiped my hard drive, used the Vaio Recovery software to set my laptop back to 'new' would that sort out my Codecs or would I find when I put these movies back on my laptop that they are still unplayable?  pretty sure that I have some of the movies files saved on an external hard drive, and would have been added to the hard drive before the attempted Service Pack1, but not being very good at this sort of thing (i'm sure you have guessed that by now the amount of times you have helped me) I don't know if I connect my hard drive to see what is there using the Vista laptop that whatever has happened to them on my laptop will happen to them on the external Hard Drive and mess up all my movies?
Thanks again, you are always so helpful and in a way I understand. I am trying to learn but it feels like everytime I learn something new about computers and begin to think I am getting better with them something else pops up to let me know I am so, so  wrong!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The odds are that the SP1 failed install is the problem but I don't have the knowledge to fix that.
Do you have access to another computer. If so can you copy the files onto a CD and see if it will open them.
samuria
Grafter

Down load Free gspot from
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm
Run it and open the files in question this will tell you all about the files and also if the codecs are installed if you still have a problem post the gspot results for the files as this will give us more info
bubbalicious
Grafter

Cheers Guys, -my techno-heroes  :D!
I followed the 'gspot' link and I now have all my Movies back and watchable-HOORAY!!  And I have re-downloaded SP1 for Vista and this time with success!
  I really thought I had lost the movies, and felt not only sad, but that I had let my family down not being able to share them- so thanks to you guys I am now back being the best Auntie in the world!
I was totally lost without you guys getting me out of another mess, I really, really, really appreciate everyones help and time!
Thanks again Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Heres another one for your collection

Do come back another time, we like people who say thanks
Mav
Fixes: 514

I second that, pierre_pierre, adding that it also helps those of us following the thread but don't have anything contructive to add but may have had a similar problem in the past, have it now or will have in future and it's nice to know the OP got a resolution  Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still