cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Netgear routers secure?

pd
Grafter

Are Netgear routers secure?

Going a short distance from my home, about 2 miles, my WiFi enabled Nokia sees dozens of routers of various makes, among them 4 Netgear routers which are all reported as 'Open Network'.  Is this just a coincidence or are they maybe reporting to the user that they are secure when in fact they are not?
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Are Netgear routers secure?

The individuals who set them up thought it would be easier if they didn't have to bother with pass phrases.
You can remove all the encryption from any model of router quite easily, if you are stupid enough.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

small snap shot of ap's near my desktop. if i walk round with laptop i get over 20 and think last time checked 4-5 netgears open.
can you guess which is mine
due to the fact your going on the ssid name to know what make they are the fact that the default ssid of netgears is netgears points towards that they havent botherd to set them up at all.
i was sorting someones laptop over remote desktop once and luckly i had decide to make sure there wireless was secure to find out they were connected to there neigbours unsercure wireless Crazy it looked like they had been paying subs to o2 for donks but never used the connection Grin
Lurker
Grafter

I once went to try and sort out a connection for somebody who was using one of those infernal Orange Liveboxes.
It was easier to link them to their neighbours open WiFi instead.
scootie
Grafter

theres only one livebox around here and from what i can tell its few doors down but its signal is weak as kitten where an o2 which is few doors  past that one gives a better signal.
any way my ssid is one of the sky ones. i like to hide in among the chav's Grin