Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appointments diary for Windows XP

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Appointments diary for Windows XP

Many moons ago, in the days of MSDOS 6.1 Windows 3.1 I remember I had a little program that provided icons on the desktop, similar to windows, to access msdos programs. one of these was a diary/appointment keeper..... can`t remember what it was called.... You opened it from the icon, put in Birthdays, anniversaries, public holidays, dentist/doctor/hospital/any appointment, and you could specify a "lead in" time in days as a warning that the due date was imminent. sure enough, two or three days before the date, a window would open saying " Dental appointment 12:00 Friday 27th"  or whatever the appointment was.....
As far as I am aware, XP has a diary, (somewhere) but I can`t find it, (I did once, and put in my last dentist appointment, but it did not warn me it was today!)
Does anyone know of  such a program that will run with Window XP?
If so, please point me in the right direction....
17 REPLIES 17
Njal
Grafter

Re: Appointments diary for Windows XP

Not applicable

If you use Firefox, there is an add-on called Reminder Fox which is described as not being a full-blown calendar but a date reminder tool.
Also, Mozilla do a calendar (Sunbird) and also one to link with Thunderbird (Lightning) - all free of course.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for both replies.... will go away and have a look at them.....Not much point in putting it into a diary that you never open.... I do put things on a calendar, but then I must remember to look at the calendar, which I rarely do.... a lot of the time, I don`t even know which day it is.... (no it`s not the rum pierre !  Roll_eyes )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Must be the Gin & Tonic then.
I have a PDA with my reminders on, also Mobile phones have them  and some other programs Cool Roll_eyes
My dentist phones me up two days before to remind me  Tongue
Not applicable

Shutter - have just had a play with ReminderFox (wouldn't have known about it if you hadn't raised the question).
It is excellent - very easy to use and only a few kb. It sits at the bottom of the web page just above the notification area and you right-click to add an appointment. You then set it to remind you on the day/time of choice and up it pops. It also has a To Do list but I am not sure about that - I'd rather forget things to do!
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks poppy, for the info,  have been away and downloaded a couple from pierre`s link, but one is virtually too small to use, and the other is like a full blown diary with all sorts of addons, including google world mapping, email and ............ etc..,  Roll_eyes
Think I will have a look at the reminderfox, cos it seems to be just what I need.... Smiley
Oh by the way Pierre, My dentist receptionist rings up the day before, to remind me.    I wanted to know about a week before, so I don`t double book my valuable time ! !
Thanks for the link though.... Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Poppy..... now on my computer with a few reminders  ! ! !  Kiss  Kiss  Cheesy Wink Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Didnt know I had given you a drink link
firefly2
Grafter

Hi, if you enter it into your mob it will remind you wherever...... [ the mind boggles] Roll_eyes
Not applicable

Just had another play with ReminderFox - you can change the alert sound so I have put the Microsoft Sound on (came with ME - can't remember if it was also with my first computer, 98).  A bit of de je vue!
It's a really handy little application because you can enter things without loading a full calender. Was easily able to input a date given during a telephone call last night so no scraps of paper to get lost or thrown away.
Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Didnt know I had given you a drink link

Sorry, It was Njal..... similar avatars ¬ ¬  Embarrassed  Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

have to get you a pair of glasses, Wolf Vs old Goat?  But still in Glencoe thought I save a strange Sheep, filmed - looked at the picture when I got home, it was a deer  Crazy
jmd
Grafter

No answer to original question though which was asking if there was a reminder thingy in Windows XP?
I use a "post it note" but they are rather obtrusive.

[don't have Firefox........]
shutter
Community Veteran

Post it notes !... I have a clip of them on my left wardrobe door !...
If you put one on for every birthday in the family ,the doc appts, the gasboard road works, early closing due to ..... there`s not much screen left for the forum ! ! Cheesy