cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applemac (iMac) problems

Hallstean
Dabbler

Applemac (iMac) problems

I have broadband with Plusnet but I have not been able to use it properly since I joined and the Plusnet staff say they can't come up with a solution to my problem and suggest someone out there who knows about Macs probably can.
I have Plusnet as my home page, but when I log in and click on My Account, for example, I get a message saying 'Security failure. Data decryption error'. Same thing happens when I click on some other topics. And when I try to get into the member centre I get a message saying I am entering an insecure place - which seems a bit strange.
Additionally, when I try to log in to one of my internet banking accounts, the page comes up with all the log in places blanked off - so I can't log in.
All very frustrating. Can someone who knows about Apple Macs please help.
22 REPLIES 22
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Applemac (iMac) problems

Which browser are you using and which version of Mac OSX?
Have you tried using a different browser?
samuria
Grafter

How do you connect to the Internet ie modem router and what model?
Hallstean
Dabbler

Many thanks for responding.
The iMac is OSX v 10.2. Browser is Internet Explorer 5.2. The router is the one supplied  a couple of months ago by Plusnet; Voyager something or other. Not wireless.
Before I got broadband I was on a dial-up arrangement with Virgin and everything worked - if slowly. I used to be able to click on an icon (alias) on the desktop to get on to the internet but now I have to open up the hard drive, click on applications and then on Internet Explorer. Seems rather long winded: is there an easier way?
I'm very much a novice so don't unerstand much about browsers!
James
Grafter

Hmm.
Not being able to access secure sites can often be a proxy issue.
I'm not familiar with Explorer on the Mac, but if you goto the tool menu when Explorer is running, are there any proxy related connection settings?
acr
Rising Star

There is a known issue with using the mac version of Internet Explorer which results in you getting the error message 'Security failure. Data decryption error' when connecting to web sites that use a certain type of encryption. The fault is with Internet Explorer which is now outdated and not supported by microsoft.
Your best option is to download Firefox - a free browser which will work with Mac OSX 10.2. You can download it from here:-
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
You should also make sure that you download any system updates that are available from Apple. Click on the Apple menu at the top left of your screen and then click on Software Update (I have never used OSX 10.2 but am assuming the software update location is in the same place as subsequent versions).
Edit:
Have just checked and the Software Update for 10.2 is a little different. You need to go through System Preferences. The full details are here:-
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704
Hallstean
Dabbler

Thanks again for your continuing interest.
Proxies (whatever they are).  I've gone to the Tools menu but it comes up with a load of stuff about Track Auction; Auction Manager;  Autofill forms; Show Related Links (nothing there about Proxies); MSM.com; MSM Hotmail; Encarta online. (No idea what any of these mean: I'm a complete novice)
Download updates (ruslyn) . . . I looked at your suggestion on my laptop on a different broadband line and it says Mac OSX 10.2 etc (up to five) themselves are not downloadable updates.
I tried on this Applemac to go on to the Apple site but it wouldn't have it . . . litle circle just kept going round and round for ever, and the bar at the bottom never moved. Must be to do with 'the problem' I'm having. Have to pull the plug out to switch it off. No other way.
I'm thinking to have a go at the Firefox browser you mentioned.
acr
Rising Star

I am, almost, certain that Internet Explorer is your problem. 
The error that you are seeing is a known problem with Internet Explorer for Macintosh when you attempt to access a web page running behind SSL (i.e. secure sites) due to incompatibilities with the versions of Apache (the Web server software), SSL and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer for Mac. Microsoft never got around to correcting the fault in Internet Explorer prior to its demise.
I am just a little surprised that Plusnet Support appear to be unaware of this.  Grin
Your only option is to use a different browser. Firefox will work with 10.2 provided your computer meets the minimum specifications:-
- Macintosh computer with an Intel x86 or PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
- 128 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)
- 200 MB hard drive space
Other alternative browsers are Safari and Opera but I am not sure if the latest versions will work with Mac OSX 10.2 or, if not, whether the earlier versions are still available for download.

Hallstean
Dabbler

Thanks, ruslyn, wherever you are. I shall try Mister Firefox in the morning. It's getting a bit late now 'cos my wife insisted I watch 'Fanny Hill' (bit naughty!) so I'm not just up to chasing a fox in his den (earth) at the moment. I'll keep you informed. Dear Emma at PN has been following our 'performance' and is equally keen to know how we get on.
Cheery cheers
Hallstean
Dabbler

This is an addendum to my earlier stuff about Security failure problems.
I have logged into various web sites I regularly visit and they all seem to work OK with the exception of the odd bank account which displays blanked out pages.. Curiously enough the main 'culprit' seems to be Plusnet's' website!!
It's only when logging in there that I get messages saying you are entering an insecure site etc and the stuff about 'Security failure.. Data decryption error'.
Why is this? Any explanation before I change my browser to Mr. Foxtrot or whatever he's called?
Is there something going at Plusnet?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You appear to have doubts about FireFox - these aren't necessary. It can be downloaded from http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mozillafirefox.html

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Hallstean
Dabbler

:)Rejoice ... rejoice .. rejoice.  It seems to be working.
I've downloaded Firefox and somehow managed to fiddle it all out. I first tried downloading from apple.com/downloads etc as suggested by axisofevil but it didn't want to work; just kept going round and round so I had to force quit. Obviously something to do with the Explorer problem.
Then I went to mozzila.com etc (as suggested by ruslyn) and it worked.
I can now get straight into Plusnet's various sections without being told it's a decryption error; and I've also been able to get into my online banking account without the various log-in bits being blanked off. So . . . happy.
Many many thanks to all who have come up with suggestions. I think this community forum thing is great. Never had it with Demon when I was with them.
Couple of further requests, please, to this novice who doesn't know what a a proxy is or  a cookie or a portal  . . . how do I get rid of Mister Internet Explorer so that he doesn't try to foul things up? Do I just drag the IE thing out of Applications and put it in the waste paper basket or do I have to go through a process of eliminating him?
Finally, how is that Google comes up now as my home page when I want  Plusnet - which it was under IE?
And finally, finally, I may need to come back to you about setting up e-mail on this Mac. Do I use their Mail programme or go to Outlook Express which I'm more familiar with on my laptop[ XP).
Bright Blessings to all.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Hallstean

I think this community forum thing is great. Never had it with Demon when I was with them.
Couple of further requests, please, to this novice who doesn't know what a a proxy is or  a cookie or a portal  . . . how do I get rid of Mister Internet Explorer so that he doesn't try to foul things up? Do I just drag the IE thing out of Applications and put it in the waste paper basket or do I have to go through a process of eliminating him?
Finally, how is that Google comes up now as my home page when I want  Plusnet - which it was under IE?
And finally, finally, I may need to come back to you about setting up e-mail on this Mac. Do I use their Mail programme or go to Outlook Express which I'm more familiar with on my laptop[ XP).

I found Demon to be supremely rubbish in the last couple of years.
DO NOT simply move Internet Explorer into the rubbish bin - you have to follow the uninstall procedure. It's necessary to remove all the hooks that IE has placed throughout your system. It will be difficult to make sure you remove every last bit of M$ nastiness - but you must try to do so as far as possible.
It's easy to change your home page in FireFox:-
Edit, preferences, main - then change the home page to anything you choose,
You can use *any* email program of your choice - although I suggest you have a look at their webmail program (it's not like Demon's pathetic excuse for webmail). Many (most?) people find it fulfils all their requirements.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

acr
Rising Star

Glad to see that Firefox has solved your problem.
Microsoft did not provide an uninstaller for Internet Explorer 5.2 (which is still normal for the vast majority of applications on the Mac). Moving Internet Explorer to the trash should not harm your system but will not remove all the associated preference and other files.
Microsoft's instructions as to how to manually remove Internet Explorer can be found here:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192852/EN-US/#appliesto
However, in view of your lack of experience, I would suggest just leaving Internet Explorer on your system. It does no harm to do so. If you do choose to try and remove it them make sure that you have a full backup of your system first - just in case it's removal causes a problem.
You will have a very early version of Mail on your iMac and therefore Plusnet's video guide may not be entirely helpful for your needs. If you go to Apple's support pages for OSX 10.2 then you will see a section for setting up Mail.
http://www.apple.com/support/jaguar/
Assos
Grafter

To remove IE, just drag it from your applications folder to the Trash. There may be some settings files, etc left on your system, but it is quite safe to leave these and they will have no effect on your system going forwards, once IE is gone.
If you want to get rid of the settings files then the easiest way do do it is using appzapper (http://appzapper.com/) it costs about $13 (~£7) and is well worth it IMHO.
As for outlook express I belive a version of OE for mac was made available in the OS9 days, however I am unaware of one for OS X, so would suggest using Apple's mail.app.