Apple wants to spy on its customers

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Apple wants to spy on its customers

Hi All
If you have a Apple iPhone then read this:
[quote="Steve Jobs Is Watching You: Apple Seeking to Patent Spyware"]
It looks like Apple, Inc., is exploring a new business opportunity: spyware and what we're calling "traitorware." While users were celebrating the new jailbreaking and unlocking exemptions, Apple was quietly preparing to apply for a patent on technology that, among other things, would allow Apple to identify and punish users who take advantage of those exemptions or otherwise tinker with their devices. This patent application does nothing short of providing a roadmap for how Apple can — and presumably will — spy on its customers and control the way its customers use Apple products. As Sony-BMG learned, spying on your customers is bad for business. And the kind of spying enabled here is especially creepy — it's not just spyware, it's "traitorware," since it is designed to allow Apple to retaliate against you if you do something Apple doesn't like.
4 REPLIES 4
artificer
Grafter

Re: Apple wants to spy on its customers

well, there's a surprise.
zubel
Community Veteran

The rest of the world has been spying on you for years.  This appears to be nothing unexpected (although fanbois will surely be up in arms over it.. oh, wait.. )
B.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Here's something for you Gary  https://www.mi5.gov.uk/output/uk-home-page.html
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
David_W
Rising Star

Apparently [tin foil hat] Apple have put into their ToS that they can collect "impersonal" information about you each time you use the device, right down to your current location "to better serve you with adverts".  Someone pointed out that it's anon information using a random GUID!  Someone else pointed out that the information is continually collected against that GUID to provide people who look with your address[/tin foil hat].
Personally I wouldn't buy another Apple product (really dislike my iPhone) but not because of their spying practices, but because I like to believe my device is my own and not that I'm renting it from a company.