Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple pip's

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Apple pip's

As a relative newcomer to Apple products. I read the iOS does not need anti-virus or indeed anti anything...

Is this so?

I'm currently using an iPad with iOS 10 (not for this post, I'm on a Win 10).

I'm actually quite impressed with the iPad, and seriously considering in the fullness of time changing the adequate but occasionally temperamental Dell laptop to a Macbook.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Apple pip's

Have you tried tossing your proverbial coin?
petlew
Pro

Er! thanks for that, I'd like to press the "this fixed my problem button" but sadly it didn't. Maybe I'll wait until I can afford a Macbook and try it then.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple runs its own version of Linux so it is in theory vulnerable to any exploits that exist for it, but as applies in any computing environment it has a lot to do with the user as much as anything. But having said that I run nothing apart from common sense in the wetware.

petlew
Pro

The information I saw rambled on about "sandbox" being the reason for its security. Well I'm not that far advanced with Apple to know what that is about yet. Also the built in browser Safari as it comes with built in security as long it is all switched on in settings is recommended (well they would wouldn't they)

petlew
Pro

The only thing I have against the iPad at this time, and with tablets in general (I've used three different Samsung tablets) is the on-screen keyboard, yes, the predictive text is handy sometimes (as a spellchecker) but most of the time I don't watch it. I actually prefer a laptop with keyboard and also I prefer to use a mouse rather than touch pads with which I just can't get on with at all. Yes I know remote keyboards of various types are available, but I'm not that keen on the Bluetooth one I've got.

Hence my thoughts for a Macbook.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Fix

@Anonymous wrote:

Apple runs its own version of Linux 

Its BSD/Unix based...

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I sometimes get called out to help people with their iPads and more rarely with Mac computers.  I have never yet encountered any Apple device with a virus or (I think) an iPad with any form of Malware but it is quite common to find Mac computers where the browser home page has been reset to some odd search page as a means of feeding people doctored searches  with advertising.  As with PCs, there are programs around that purport to benefit your Mac but most likely do the opposite.  There is a MacOS version of Malwarebytes you can use to help identify and rid you of such.  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/  .  I employed this to good effect a while ago on a Mac that had been messed-up by a teenager.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveyH wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Apple runs its own version of Linux 

Its BSD/Unix based...

I could have sworn I typed Unix last night, as I know full well it's a BSD derivative, having mentioned it on the forum before, so either I didn't or my iPad auto corrected it; not that it really matters though.

I did say many years ago I'd never buy an Apple device, now, with a few years of use of my iMac and iPad I wouldn't have anything else. So @petlew, I don't think you'd be disappointed if you did buy yourself a Macbook.

petlew
Pro

Thank you ReedRichards, Thank you Mook.

I'm not one who moans about posts being side tracked off topic, such movements can at times be quite informative.

But I do appreciate it when my questions are actually answered with some clarity.

Thanks again.