Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple gets malware

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Apple gets malware

http://www.bitterwallet.com/apple-attacked-by-mac-defender-fake-antivirus-software/44778
Is this a virus?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

8 REPLIES 8
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Apple gets malware

The BBC also has the story as do many of the papers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13453497
From what I can see you would have to be stupid to be conned like this.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it's all a lie put out by the evil Microsoft  Lips_are_sealed
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Hundreds of people who installed the software have turned to Apple's forums for help to remove it.

Actually, a lot of Apple users probably also use Windows computers, so the idea of running a virus checker probably seems "normal".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

It is strange the first thing people ask on Linux forums is which AV product to install  Crazy The usual answer is NONE  Grin
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

but in theory Linux lusers could be duped in the same way. You have to enter your password, it can't auto install like windows variants and is simple to remove.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Heloman
Grafter

I reckon your use of "Linux losers" is an oxymoron.
Windows winners would be another  !
I don't believe anyone savvy enough to be using Linux would be duped like that  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Instructions for removal are given here: http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=1708
Merluza
Grafter

This is a Trojan Horse. My partner downloaded it 16 times one day. It's a zip file so will automatically open if you have the Apple ok to open safe files option on, it's on by default and you should turn it off. It opens a standard looking Apple install screen and gives you the option of clicking to install or to stay where you are, meanwhile the whole system is frozen including the option to force quit. The screen has a spelling mistake which is the big give away assuming that you read it closely enough, many people wont. As long as you don't click to install you're ok but you have to get out of the screen first, apparently very fast back clicking does it, otherwise disconnect from the internet, then you need to go to your downloads file and chuck 'em away. For more details about what it does if you actually install it search the web there are several descriptions. It's certainly bad, does unpleasant things and is about stealing your money but doesn't seem any worse than that but it is a small sign that people are bothering to target Mac users and this one exploits the belief that you are immune. It's not a virus but Mac users are very familiar and comfortable with just clicking through the install page.
I'm a long time Mac user and know all about the immunity but I still use Sophos, it's free, doesn't slow down your machine and it's keeping a lookout for anything, not least Microsoft style viruses which i don't want on my machine even if they can't do any harm. I believe that Apple have built in protection from MacDefender in the latest Safari update. They haven't admitted it ever existed but that's Apple for you.