Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple To Live Stream iPhone 6 / iWatch Event On September 9

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Apple To Live Stream iPhone 6 / iWatch Event On September 9

Quote from: nanotm
going by all the past launches wont for at least a month or two, there will probably be another idiot or three that will drive off a cliff as there new iphone has a new version of maps and sends them to the wrong place .....its happened with every major launch of an iphone since 2007 so I cant see it being any different this time......

Nonsense.
Seeing as the 'Maps' on the phone was powered by Google until 2012, I doubt there were 'major' issues every year since 2007. Also, the maps are not built into the phone (they are streamed over the internet) so a new iPhone/iOS will make no difference to the quality of the maps.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

given the signal problems and firmware updates required ot make the iphone 3 map's feature work with any accuracy it lead to several deaths in America, the iphone 4 was another massive let down and also had buggy firmware on launch that caused its mapping (amongst other problems) not to work, the iPhone 5 used apple maps and killed at least 1 idiot who drove off a cliff whilst talking on his phone's hands free and using the sat nav .....
why would anyone with a brain expect the iphone 6 to work as advertised, unless they have actually just taken someone else's hardware and put it in there own case with a nice apple badge and hiked up the price as if it was new ?
I'd say google for the news articles but your unlikely to get the EU results and the yank ones aren't nearly as funny  Grin
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
AndyH
Grafter

You sure do talk some real nonsense....I've seen broken clocks that are right more often than you.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Meanwhile...
Dan Raburn @ streamingmediablog has posted up his thoughts on the disaster that was the event stream yesterday
http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/09/why-apples-livestream-failed.html
AndyH
Grafter

The streaming (which is rare for Apple) was a disaster - I kept getting it with Chinese/Japanese audio and it kept going back to the trailer. After a few mins, I gave up.
Akamai is a big partner for Apple, they are the main CDN for their software updates.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Read the article (there's no one in the media, better at reporting this stuff than Dan Rayburn) the problem was of Apple's making and not Akamai's
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

yeah, apple tried to make it interactive with their site and it all went a bit wrong.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: DaveyH
Read the article (there's no one in the media, better at reporting this stuff than Dan Rayburn) the problem was of Apple's making and not Akamai's

I read the article - well actually Business Insider's summary of the article this morning.
I also read some other pieces that said Dan Rayburn's article is full of misconceptions, particularly over how caching really works and what JSON actually is.
There was an issue with the CDN - it's just not clear who was to blame. The actual live videos were not working properly either.