cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Time Capsule v Hub1 - help needed pls

demonlawyer
Hooked

Apple Time Capsule v Hub1 - help needed pls

Trying to set up a Time Capsule (TC) with the Hub1. They don't seem to like each other. I have set up in the past with the old BT Openreach without a problem but the Hub1 stops the internet working. Can't work out why. I've tried the help centre and searching these boards.

They basically each set up their own network. With the BT it was fine as that didn't set up it's own router, with the Hub1 I have two internets and neither do what I want. If I turn off wireless on the Hub1 it doesn't fix the problem - I then just can't connect to either.

Any ideas anyone? I can't enter the hub's settings on the TC network, and the Hub1 network can't see the TC even when connected via ethernet. But if I plug the ethernet cable from the WAN socket to the Lan4, the hub settings do show a 1g/b connection, just not to anything specific. Maybe bypass the WAN?

13 REPLIES 13
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Apple Time Capsule v Hub1 - help needed pls

first things first.
you aren't comparing like for like
the "bt openreach" you refer to was simply a mode, the Hub1 is a router with modem built-in.
the Time Capsule is looking for a modem, which you don't have.

i don't believe you can put the Hub1 into modem only mode.

you'll probably need to put the Time Capsule into bridge mode, and it'll essentially just become another network device on your network rather than being the central part of your network.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have mine set up as chenks76 says, put the time capsule into bridge mode and it will work ok.
You may want to switch wireless off on or the other if they are in the same room though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
demonlawyer
Hooked

Okay so I turn off wifi and put the TC into bridge mode. What do I do re the rest?

The TC wants to set up it's own wireless network and won't give me the option to join another network. I can't therefore find it in Airport Utilities under the Plusnet wifi, but can find it under it's own network (which has no internet connection).

What I would like to do is have a decent wireless signal in the house. I have a TC and Airport Express. Can I still use the Express as a wireless extender? I also have powerlink adaptors which I was going to plug into the express and the TC (or hub1?).

I would also like to use the USB slot on the TC to stick a HDD of family movies and things so I can stream movies to Apple TV. Will this work or should I put it in the USB on the Hub1 now?

If I put the Express into 'join a network' mode I can choose the Plusnet wifi connection, but then the TC disappears.

Thanks for help so far.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Why not just use the Opereach modem, and use the TC to authenticate ?

demonlawyer
Hooked

Because the internet seems much slower. This is the setup I used to have but I have trouble with the backup feature of the TC and trying to show the kids' movies. I've bought powerline adaptors to help but I've had to move the router to get a signal that makes all this work. The Hub1's signal is a lot better and possibly better than the TC (which is over 3.5 years old now).

If I can use up to date tech I'm hoping it will give a better signal.

I accept this may mean having to abandon the Express, but the backup feature of the TC is essential to me.

chenks76
All Star

i would be astounded if the WIFI on the hub1 was "better" than the Time Capsule.
if it was me with the choice it put the hub1 in the bin and continue to use your previous setup.
demonlawyer
Hooked

lol ok!

Maybe I'm just trying too hard for a better signal than I have

chenks76
All Star

depends what you mean by "better".
demonlawyer
Hooked

SNR ratio on the TC is about 45-50. On the Hub1 it's about 70

chenks76
All Star

no, the TC is not making the DSL connection, it's the OR modem.
demonlawyer
Hooked

The TC was connected to BT openreach and getting SNR readings about 40-50. The Hub1 on it's own is getting readings nearer 70.

Do please forgive my ignorance in your comment - I am still learning about it all, but both used different means of connecting to the phone line, so I figured the Hub1 better for speed?

Next step, once TC has done a backup, is to test the Express and see if I still have a good signal around the house.

chenks76
All Star

it's the OR modem that is making the connection, not the TC.
so any SNR stats you have are from the OR modem.

however, why so focused on the SNR? it's the actual sync speed that is important.
also, that is irrelevant when it comes to your WIFI network.
demonlawyer
Hooked

This all really started when I was trying to get the kids to watch a home movie. They got bored waiting for the movie to load (it took over 15 mins before we all gave up). I have been trying to get a better internal wifi ever since.

And when I had given up, the TC came up with an error message saying that it completed a verification of backups and needed to start the whole backup process from scratch. I know that there may be issues with OS Sierra but I figured it's probably down to a poor internal wifi making the connection to backup properly. I wiped the TC zeroing out data and it found no faults, so not the hard drive, and now I'm trying to just have a backup machine that works and an internal wifi that can stream home movies.

The movie itself wasn't 15 mins long!

Thanks