Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Time Capsule - Connecting one to a Router rather than a Modem

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Apple Time Capsule - Connecting one to a Router rather than a Modem

This device combines the function of an external backup drive with the function of a cable router.  I'm not sure why Apple think this is a good idea but mine is not to question why. Has anyone set one of these up to work with an ADSL modem/router so that they don't fight?
6 REPLIES 6
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Apple Time Capsule

There was someone earlier that asked if it was OK to use for fibre. So they must have had it connected OK. It should be pretty simple to set this up, depending on ADSL router being used.
That's RPM to you!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

You would think it would be easy but if I just switch it on it acts as a DHCP server with IP address 10.0.1.1  (which I don't want).  I would like to set it to 'bridge mode' so I thought I might be able to access it in the manner of a normal router by entering its IP address into my web browser but that gets no response.   
RPMozley
Pro

Nope, you're suppose to use the Airport Utility application. Either on Mac, PC or iOS device.
That's RPM to you!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Okay, for future reference you must indeed install Airport Utility. This doesn't provide information about Heathrow or Gatwick as you might have supposed but enables you to connect to your Time Capsule (even if the physical connection is via an Ethernet cable).
Connect an Ethernet port from your router to the input port on the Time Capsule (marked with a cogwheel).
Run Airport Utility and select Internet
Under Internet Connection select:

• Connect Using: Ethernet

• Connection Sharing: Off (bridge mode).

You might need to click the TCP/IP tab and select 'Renew DHCP lease'
Hey presto - Your Time Capsule now works with your ADSL router instead of against it.  
Now if only Apple had provided the instructions instead of me!
RPMozley
Pro

Well they don't tend to come in the box these days but I'm sure there's something in the support section of their website.
That's RPM to you!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Probably true, but there is nothing about it on the pdf instructions file on the installation disc - which is just plain silly given how easy it is when you know how.
Page 36 of this document http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/designing_airport_networks_10.5-windows.pdf gives some instructions.
Do Apple have a RailwayStation Utility as well as the Airport one?