Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple App Store running slow.

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apple App Store running slow.

Is it just me or is this crawling along like treacle for anyone else?

16 REPLIES 16
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Apple App Store running slow.

Just tried it on my iPad2 running 9.3.5 - yes it is slow, but I find if I load 'updates', even if there aren't any, this seems to jolt it into a faster mode.

Updates load quick, though.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1 - Thanks for that, but I see this morning that there's been no improvement. Given lots of time I eventually find what I'm looking for, I'm trying to download this, but after some time it says it can't complete the purchase! Most annoying.

jab1
Legend

Ah, so you're running a MAC PC - should have realised Smiley

I haven't loaded any NEW apps for quite a while, so don't know how I would fare trying. Only thing I can think is the Apple server is poorly, but I can't see that being the case if my updates work OK - and they do, I downloaded one this morning with no trouble.

Silly question I know, but have you checked on the Apple forums for anything similar?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing obvious, but I may be wrong in this thinking but I am under the impression that Plusnet has a content cache for Apple so I think this might be related to Plusnet!

jab1
Legend

If that's the case, then gawd help you Smiley

Wouldn't that also affect anyone on PN?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well yes, which is why I'm posting here. OK my assumption may be wrong, as on my iPad (which may have a separate repository) it seems to work reasonably well. But this:

Incomplete App Store

took one minute to load from opening to what you see above, and even then the content is not complete! Normally this would be near instant so something is awry some where. I have no problems with any other site or location so ...

jab1
Legend

Just opened the OS X app store on my laptop - almost instant fully loaded.Huh

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Crazy2 Thanks for the @jab1, I've just restarted the router out of desperation but I am still in the same boat of a minute± to populate the store. Not good. I wonder if anyone else is getting this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone like @bobpullen or @scrookes confirm or deny my thoughts as regards Plusnet having an Apple CDN?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Not Apple specifically I don't think, but we do route some traffic to Akamai caches and IIRC Apple are fairly reliant on Akamai to host their content.

Having said that, I've just tried using a Windows box on an external Plusnet line whilst assigned an IP with the same two first octets as yours.

No problem at all browsing here, site loaded in seconds. Opening the store via iTunes is snappy too Huh

Edit: crossed posts with Steve Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Anonymous,

Not seeing any issues our side. We've tested this on a static IP as you also have one, and been able to reach the App Store and Apple sites without any delays.  With regards to CDN, no we don't have one for Apple.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers @bobpullen, @scrookes, the browser URL works as one would expect for me, but it is when you click on the link to view in App Store this is where the delay comes in. Do either of you have access to a Mac to test this?

View in App Store

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You may have things sorted now, but FWIW...

I can access the Smart-VPN application page on the App Store on my Mac (macOS 10.12.3) without any delay or trouble - accessed via clicking the link at the url you posted above, and via a search within the App Store.

Hope you get things sorted soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @toggie101, but I’m no further forward with this now than when I posted. The App Store is still taking in excess of 60 seconds to populate!