Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently i need to restart...

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Apparently i need to restart...

Not entirely sure why either!
I put the computer to sleep a few hours ago, just woke it up and got a message saying windows needs to restart. There were two buttons, restart now and restart later  Crazy
All i did was wake it up  Crazy
So.. any way i can find out whats caused this? - Obviously something somewhere has decided that it's going to do some sort of update but windows updates are turned off so clearly something a bit suspicious going on.
Tips please!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Apparently i need to restart...

may be your antivirus
picbits
Rising Star

Often Windows updates - if it installs an update that requires a restart you'll get this box.
You should be able to select a time to postphone it too.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
but windows updates are turned off

Don't think it's windows update Dom lol
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Unless you installed some updates and have not performed a necessary re-boot since.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You can check when updates were last installed/downloaded (I think) on the "windows update" part of Control Panel....
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials?

Ah.. now you come to mention it, yes i am - was installed when i got the machine and i've never got shot of it.
Must have been that as it was a windows dialog not a dialog from a software vendor..
PowerLee
Pro

MSE client has recently been updated, part of the program update is that it will re enable Microsoft automatic updates  Wink
nanotm
Pro

yeah those pesky M$ barstewards are doing their level best to make sure everyone and his dog gets updates regularly to stop bot nets from becoming the same level of problem they have been in the past ..... if the updates don't brick your install it means your uninfected and with the updates removing the vulnerabilities your unlikely to become so, if it does then you were and didn't realise it so now you have clean out the system with a fresh install and do all the updates so you dot get infected again Smiley
clever really don't know why the EUP didn't make them change updates to compulsory for everyone not running a vlk system really after all its the ruling was all about protecting the thicker than a plank users from those nasty dark net users ....... quite why the EUP thinks every pc users is thicker than a plank is rather bewildering though, unless of course they use themselves as the baseline for average....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran

Well my AU is turned off so not entirely sure whats going on lol... need to uninstall the recent service pack anyway as it took away my desktop gadget - clipboard manager which was one i was very keen on!
nanotm
Pro

don't you just have to re-enable gadgets to get it back ?
I seem to recall something about gadgets being a weak point in the OS so they were being disabled by a security update
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
7up
Community Veteran

The gadgets are still active but the clipboard manager refuses to work because that update disabled something that stopped some gadgets working. So effectively, MS stiffed customers for a feature and then took it away regardless of whether they wanted it removed or not.
On my old pc i have had gadgets in use since 2010 and never had a problem. The only problem MS pose to me is their constant decisions to overrule customer preferences for their computers.
PowerLee
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
I seem to recall something about gadgets being a weak point in the OS so they were being disabled by a security update

Exactly  Wink