Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent connection failure

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Apparent connection failure

I wonder if any of you experts out there can throw some light on the following.
Of the 3 PC's connected to my router (2 wireless laptops 1 desktop connected by cable) this problem only effects the desktop:
Very regularly when online I get error pop-ups:

Dial up connection

followed by
Connection to broadband connection; which contains: Connecting to WAN miniport (PPPOE)...
followed by
Error connecting to broadband connection; containing several options: Error 815, Redial (followed by an increasing number) Close, Diagnose (which doesn't do anything if pressed) Googling error 815 doesn't show anything that I understand.
Closing these pop-ups simply brings them up again a few minutes later, at no time during these apparent connection errors does it effect my internet/mail connection. So I assume something else is trying to use a connection...but what? I don't have another modem in the PC (device manager doesn't show a modem at all)
Apart from the annoyance of having these pop-ups appear, nothing else wrong seems to be happening.
I did until recently have a Skype phone connected, but have disconnected it and uninstalled the software, but I'm pretty sure it was happening when I was using the Skype.
Many thanks.

Edit: thinking about it, I don't need to be using a web browser or email programmes for these pop-ups to appear. If it makes any difference, I use Firefox and Thunderbird, IE 7 is still installed, but not used.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES 2
paulby
Grafter

Re: Apparent connection failure

Firstly make sure that in IE under Tools>Internet Options> Connections that "Never Dial A Connection" is set (assuming that you're not using a USB connection).
If it is set already then go to Control Panel > Network Connections and make sure that no dial-up connections are set as default and that any connection showing under "Virtual Privae Network" is disabled (right click on the connection, if it exists, and hit disable).
You could also make sure that any other network connection showing (other than that to your router) is disabled.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Apparent connection failure

Thank you Paul03. that was exactly the problem, now fixed. uhmm! I wonder how it got set as active in the first place, could some IE or Windows updates (or indeed Vista SP1 perhaps) have made an alteration unknown to me? didn't effect the other 2 PC's though. Much more likely I've selected IE7 as default web browser in error at some time I suppose!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.