cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppArmor on Ubuntu

CX
Grafter

AppArmor on Ubuntu

I have an Ubuntu 10.04 server, originally an Athlon 64 X2 system but later moved to an Intel Sandy Bridge system. That's when the fun started.
Ubuntu 10.04 now has an ancient kernel, which was pretty much useless for the Sandy Bridge setup. I was able to get things working reasonably well by installing the Ubuntu mainline 3.2 kernel. The .deb files installed without issue. I say reasonably well, because certain things would trigger the system into completely locking up (no response whatsoever). I put this down to the ever-buggy Intel GPU support. But it was usable and everything installed.
Wanting to fix this, I tried a newer mainline kernel - 3.9.0. Whilst the main kernel image package installed, and boots, and functions, the header package does not install because it was built against a newer version of libc6 than what I have. Because of this, I am unable to build modules (e.g. for VirtualBox). As I said, the kernel itself does work and losing VirtualBox is preferable to instability.
Wanting the best of both worlds, I decided to compile my own kernel, based on the Ubuntu source. This way I can have the latest kernel, but the header package is built against the versions of dependencies that I have on the actual system. This appeared to compile and install fine, and I booted up into my custom 3.9.7 kernel. However, AppArmor is now throwing a wobbly, and prevents Networking, MySQL and a few other things from starting up. I can't even issue ifup eth0 unless I completely kill AppArmor first.
I have no idea where to go from here. I'm tempted to just remove AppArmor entirely, but it would be nice to get it working. I don't understand why it works fine with the mainline kernel but not with my custom one. It's enabled in the kernel configuration, and all of the rules are still in place.
Has anyone else run into this?
2 REPLIES 2
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: AppArmor on Ubuntu

I take it upgrading to 12.04 isn't an option?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: AppArmor on Ubuntu

Yes, I've just upgraded h/w to an IvyBridge based system with a B75 chipset. Worked fine on 12.04 with the HWE(quantal) kernel https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.