Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tried 3's mobile broadband yet?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Anyone tried 3's mobile broadband yet?

Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone here has tried 3's mobile broadband yet? - If so, what is it like? Whats the coverage like? Does it work on trains?
Tell me all!!! (I'm considering it seriously as a replacement for wired broadband..)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
15 REPLIES 15
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Anyone tried 3's mobile broadband yet?

Not Three, but I get 7M from my Vodafone Mobile Broadband at home, where ADSL can only muster 3M  Sad
Jon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 3

I've tried it a few times in and around Sheffield and can honestly say speedwise it's not great.
It never seems to lose connection, but the fastest speed I saw was around 400kbits.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Jon Smith
 Plusnet Infrastructure Operations Professional
Emma
Grafter

We have on the of 3 ones, my hubby uses out and about for his work, he has had no complaints. 1Gb is just enough a well for his needs, so we're pleased.
The coverage seems fine but we've not tested in remote areas yet, 3 said if it didn't work at home to take it back within 3 days for a refund so maybe they can do the same for you
Emma
chillypenguin
Grafter

Emma raises a go point, watch out for the excessive usage charges on Mobile Broadband, I have heard one operator charges £15 per 1GB if you go over your allowance.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for coverage maps of UK see http://www.directmobilephones.com/coverage.htm 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've heard stories of bills of thousands of pounds relating to mobile broadband by people who thought it was unlimited. Shocked
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
puddy
Grafter

being a 3 mobile customer I got a free modem and 3GB download for 1/2 price (£7.50) per month.  3 tell me you must use the supplied usb router so i used my intel 5520 mini-pci card in my dell 1525 inspiron laptop instead.  So it can be done 3
as for the 3 usb modem I unlocked so it will work on any network  flashed it so it will work up to 7.2mbps so my mrs will use it or sell it on ebay.

puddy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I've heard stories of bills of thousands of pounds relating to mobile broadband by people who thought it was unlimited. Shocked

Was this for Mobile Broadband or Mobile internet? I know of stories relating to the iPhone were large bills have been racked up because the iPhone keep checking for emails every few minutes. This is done by Mobile internet which is paid for per MB. Vodafone have capped their charges to £1 per day but this is for only 15MB.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Was this for Mobile Broadband or Mobile internet?

When I was researching Mobile Broadband I had to read all the web sites about three times to make sure which was which. All very confusing, especially as I didn't know anything about Mobile Internet before I started either, as it's not of much practical use to me.
puddy
Grafter

i can use my nokia n95 for broadband but the 3 broadband usb router service is only for browsing the internet no call allowance  no text allowances just downloading.
I live in a small village in lincolnshire and coverage is excellent in my area for 3
puddy
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: puddy

I live in a small village in lincolnshire and coverage is excellent in my area for 3

I'm in a small town in Lincolnshire notorious for bad reception but not only does 3 mobile broadband work pretty well here (not that I need it at home - got good old Plusnet for that), it held up well when I went testing it out through the villages on the Marsh. Haven't tried it up on the Wolds yet - that usually kills just about everything so I'm not holding out great hopes. Not too worried, because it's when I am out of the county that I really need it to work.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin
...I have heard one operator charges £15 per 1GB if you go over your allowance.

I saw that small print for Vodafone mobile some time ago, 3GB per month and £15/GB thereafter - Bargain!!  Wink
grimme
Grafter

@puddy
Did the software for updating the speed on the 3 USB dongle require you to unlock the device, I'm assuming it's the E220?
I have an ongoing speed discussion with 3 at the moment, as mine shows up as HSDPA every time (albeit with no bars) but speeds are GPRS (5-10KB) 99.9% of the time.
I'd like to try an update of the speed, but if the testing with 3 results in them telling me to return the dongle for a replacement - they are not going to do anything if I've unlocked it.
OldCrone
Grafter

My Husband used 3 usb on his eeepc and it works on the West Coast Main line (Carlisle to London) for most of the way. It does occasionally drop the signal.
Considering that it even works over Shap fell, this is pretty good, especially as his Vodafone mobile phone signal is useless in the new trains (there is more metal these days).
The speeds aren't great, but he uses it just for e-mail mainly when away from home and access to websites in lectures,  so speed isn't a priority, just connection.
Also it is a backup as our phone lines have been known to get waterlogged and cruising around for a BT van takes a while (that is far quicker than going to India and back on the phone!)
He is really pleased - but we wouldn't dream of anything but plusnet at home!