Did you mean: 

Anyone identify This?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Anyone identify This?

@jab1 

OK, two more questions.

What can be plugged into the box - looks like there's space for two ports.

As you look at the FritzBox on the right hand side is a port labelled FON - does you mysterious box plug into this. The port looks different to the port on the rear labelled FON - this looks like a RJ11 port.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

I'll check in the morning - will download the full manual, as I am going to need it anyway.

John
Niloc
Hooked

It's a BT to RJ11 convertor. It allows you to plug a UK phone, or DECT base, into the FON socket on the back of the Fritz Box. If you have a Voip number configured on the Fritz Box you can make and receive call using the phone.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Niloc - useful information. No VoIP number at the moment, but as I've said above, I will be investigating the option in the not too distant future. 👍

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Googling, it seems your new Fritz!Box is a handy bit of kit @jab1 Wink

I came across this thread on the PN forums which may be useful.

Regarding VoIP, apparently you can configure up to 20 different VoIP accounts, which is handy for using different accounts for, for example, different types of call to reduce costs if and/or when the need arises.

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/knowledge-base/publication/show/32_Configuring-inte....

The world's your lobster!

jab1
Legend

Cheers @RobPN . Seems like I'm going to be busy once I've switched and ironed out any potential problems - although I don't expect any. The phone side is fairly low-priority though - I hardly ever use the land-line these days.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Those routers are magic bits of kit. I looked at them years ago but did not like the price tag. IIRC you can plug an “ordinary” phone into them (be that wired or DECT) and then make / receive calls over POTS or VoIP from / to the so connected handset.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Strangely enough, I'd been looking longingly at them even before making my switch decision, but decided they were too expensive for what I need. I'll be looking at the 'extras' - like the phone side when (a) I've worked out the modem/router side and (b) other more important things get sorted.

Well impressed with it, so far, and I've only really scratched the surface of what it can do.

John
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

For any one who's interested there's an interview with the companies UK Sales Manager here

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/05/avm-talks-broadband-routers-in-a-time-of-chip-shortage...

Brian