cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here do computer repairs to make extra money?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Anyone here do computer repairs to make extra money?

Hi all
I'm just wondering if any of you guys do computer repairs in your spare time to earn a bit of extra cash?
I'm a bit short on cash at the moment and both our cars are pretty much shot to bits. I need to start earning some more cash - IE in the evenings but due to my shiftwork I can't take a 2nd job.
So if any of you guys have any experience, tips advice etc to help me get started I'd like to do computer repairs locally.
Thanks guys
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES 5
samuria
Grafter

Re: Anyone here do computer repairs to make extra money?

What can you do in computer repairs? Do you have any qualification's ?
Can you repair networks, ADSl, AV, software problems, update the bios, servers.
Depending what you can do is the key if you can do certain things can you back it off to anyone you know. If you fail at anything people will soon say your no good.
Can you get spares fast and cheap? If you go to a pc and the hd has gone people want an new one fitted ASAP so ideally you need a stock of spares to start with, not a lot as the price goes up and down so fast.
Depending on the outlay you can start with adverts in shop windows moving up to adverts in the press. Your biggest problem is people want a 2 hour response which you cant do if your working.
You could try for a job with PC-ASSIST as they have local engineers they take the calls txt you the call you charge £60 for which you get £20 for 1 hour they supply the parts and you make money on any sales as well. Its good as you get the nation adverts and backup both technical and spares.
contact them on
http://www.pc-assist.com/index3.php?source=recruit.htm
There are other similar companies as well.
You can charge people for the first hour via pc assist and do it cheaper for the next hour if they pay cash so you can make a lot doing it
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've done a few jobs (none recently) for acquaintances - there are a lot of people who want something done cheaply, but don't want to pay much for it. In my case the hourly rate works out as very low!
I would suggest that if you encounter something that's a bit hard to understand that you say "you will have to take it away to work on it"...
Try to avoid laptops until you get going on this.
Most people seem to treat PC's as throwaway items - every time they buy one it comes with a different version of Windows on it. I suspect that the market for repairs/upgrades has shrunk a lot.
You will need a car to get to the customer Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't want to be a dampener on a bit of private enterprise but, you should be quite careful where you make this kind of information request...hopefully you'll be Ok in these forums.
I guess you're planning this because:
a) you're very good with computers
b) you're short of cash
Two very powerful pressures...
So you need to ask; where are you going to find your customers? word of mouth is good, but a bit hit or miss, and can take a very long time to build up a clientèle, only working for friends and relatives won't bring in an awful lot of cash (if any) you will need some sort of basic stock (expensive to start)  Are you planning to issue receipts for your work, if you are you need to be registered for VAT. If not you will gain a reputation as a moonlighter (which at the end of the day is what you're planning to be) You will have to make it very clear your terms are strictly cash, Many people don't keep large amounts of cash around these days, you can't take cards (because you're not registered for VAT etc.) and can't issue invoices for the same reason. You may sometimes need the help of a very big friend to get your money.
You need to realise your fault diagnosis needs to be spot on first time, in practice it won't be (no aspersions on your ability intended) but the very expensive new MB you fitted, when it only needed a new CMOS battery will leave your hard won reputation in tatters, and, out of pocket, and a S/H MB that may take you years to shift.
Print some eye catching cards, and leave them on corner shop boards etc. (my local Sainburys has such a board) and sit back and wait...but your next visit may be from the local VAT inspector.
Other than all that, can I seriously wish you the very best of luck.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Spider
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
Are you planning to issue receipts for your work, if you are you need to be registered for VAT. If not you will gain a reputation as a moonlighter (which at the end of the day is what you're planning to be)

You only need to register for VAT if you exceed the VAT thresholds (see here for more information). Also you can issue a receipt irrespective of whether you register for VAT. To avoid the 'moonlighter' tag would need to set yourself up as a self-employed and register with the tax office. If you are earning cash in hand this can be recorded on a self assessment form to keep things above aboard.
Other considerations include Public Liability Insurance, etc.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for the clarification spider, it's a long time since I was in this position (with domestic appliances) The whole thing can sound great on paper, but can be a minefield, Ok while everything is going swimmingly...
One other suggestion; if you're blessed with a local small independent computer shop, you may be the answer to a maidens prayer. if you're willing to work at odd hours etc. in the customers home.
Couldn't agree more about public liability insurance.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.