cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone heard of SupportOnClick?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Anyone heard of SupportOnClick?

I had a phone call today, from someone claiming that my pc might have nasty software hiding on it from a download that had a stowaway. I did have a problem with my pc about a month ago, and I thought I had dealt with it. To prove I still had problems, they got me to run "eventvwr". This opened the Event Viewer window, which showed I had a number of "errors" both under Applications, but particularly under System. They persuaded me to let them take control of my pc and they spent some time cleaning it up using SupportOnClick, but then  I had to pay £139 for two years cover - they will act like a Helpdesk. They then spent some time tweaking my pc, and it does seem to be a bit faster.
My question is "Have I now got cause for concern?" Answers please based on the experiences of anyone who has used SupportOnClick, not answers based on peoples opinions.
The people who took control seemed to have something to do with something like "ctyi" - I dont know what that was but it was on the bar at the bottom of the screen while they had a window open which had a two-way communications path between them and me
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Anyone heard of SupportOnClick?

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Just posting a 'News' item over on UserGroup - give me 5mins
Maurice
Now live

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

If you paid with a credit card then stop it and let your card company know.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Oh %%%%
Thanks
artmo
Aspiring Champion

No probs but don't forget to deal with your credit card or they may take more money from you.  Thanks for the warning on this Smiley
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've contacted the bank. I paid using my debit card. The payment has been authorised so its probably too late to get the money back, but I have stopped my card - that was the only banking data they got, plus my name and address. Quite why the bank cannot just do an electronic recovery, I dont know.
If they can stop a Credit card payment, I wonder why they cant stop a debit card payment?
A strange thing is that because my debit card is a Visa debit card, the payment processing software treated it as a Visa credit card.
Anyway, this muggins says thanks to you
LiamM
Grafter

Hi Penneck,
They absolutely should be able to do a chargeback but you might need to keep pushing them.
xpcomputers
Grafter

I had dealings with these guys a couple if days ago, but unfortunately, the news article wasn't ready to warn others in time....
I see the news article has now posted on Plusnet Usergroup website, so hopefully others will be warned in advance.
I hope you manage to do a chargeback on the card.
You also might want to run some scans of your computer to check your computer isn't infected with something that "Support on Click" put there, since my research into what they get up to wasn't very positive, so they might have left you in a worse position than you think, then just charging you some money.
Maybe try downloading, installing and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Also try running the online scan at TrendMicro.
Mike
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I watched what they did, but the complete process took nearly 3 hours (with long pauses) so there was a lot to take in. Now that I know it was just a scam, I can describe some of what they did as including things like they messed about with the Register. I have just restored to a restore point dated 1 March. They also deleted a lot of temp files. I haven't found anything that doesn't work properly (not yet).
I have the latest AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware (there may be a newer Ad-aware that has just come out, cos when I tried to run it just now it mentioned some update), all of which were updated no later than about a week ago. I am trying to run those, just in case.
I am concerned that they have put something on my pc to monitor what I am doing. I have ZoneAlarm, but that doesn't seem to be listing anything that is ticked rather than "?", that is questionable.
It will be some months I suspect before I get any confidence they haven't done more than take my £139.
Anyway, thanks for your help
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I've been aware of this scam for about a year now after some of my clients reported being approached.  How anybody could let a complete stranger who cold-calls them tamper with their computer is beyond me.  For all Penneck knows, they removed any banking details stored on his computer whilst they had access to it (although I don't think that happens). 
xpcomputers
Grafter

It is all about trust. They call up knowing your name. Saying that Microsoft have detected problems on your computer. Then then show you where those problems are. They seem to have prior knowledge of your computer, which builds trust very quickly. They also play on people's fears.
Of course they are banking on most machines having errors & warnings in the event-viewer window, which most will.
I was alerted myself immediately when my friend said "Microsoft had just called him", and I said, "I've never heard of Microsoft calling anyone, and I don't think they would... so I would be instantly concerned". He told me they'd known about errors on his machine and known his name and thought it was genuinely them, but I wasn't convinced, so we agreed I'd take the call to vet it for him. Ironically, I had a remote support session to my friend's computer open at the same time, so that I could follow the phone instructions on my friend's computer remotely!
Since I use remote support software regularly to help other people, I know what the software is capable of... in the times when seemingly nothing was happening, it could be that they had the file transfer utility open. On the remote support software I use, it is a hidden Window that pops up at my end only, and gives me full access to the remote computer's drives. I can transfer files in both directions and to & from the person at the far end, it looks like nothing is happening! Of course for legitimate usage, it is very useful feature, but in the wrong hands, it could be potentially very dangerous. It doesn't take a much of a mind leap to suggest that when nothing looked like it was happening for a long time, that they might have been looking through your drives and taking off any that looked like they might give away person info. They could also potentially have put on something malicious that would run the next time the computer started up for example. I'm not saying they did... just that the technology is capable! And that is using the free software that I use, who knows what professional scammers have at their disposal.
As I say, other reports I've read about these guys since suggest they are after more than just your money... but I guess we'll never know. Of course, they might have changed their modus operandi by now, or they might never have been that bad, (the bad reports could easily have been caused by a few more malicious support operatives working on a sneaky side earner alongside the main task they were employed for - it happens every day in computer repair shops in this country too!)
Mike
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
I've been aware of this scam for about a year now after some of my clients reported being approached.  How anybody could let a complete stranger who cold-calls them tamper with their computer is beyond me.  For all Penneck knows, they removed any banking details stored on his computer whilst they had access to it (although I don't think that happens). 
Why did you not inform the community here of this scam then? Many thanks to the op for bringing this to my attention(although at your expense)for which i sympathise with,Ive told everyone i know about this since reading it here,you can never be to careful.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: steve74
Quote from: ReedRichards
I've been aware of this scam for about a year now............
Why did you not inform the community here of this scam then?.......

• I wasn't with Plusnet when I first found out about this scam.

• I'm still not sure what you mean by 'inform the community here' - I wrote an article for my local newsletter.  A quick Google of SupportonClick will reveal that they are scam artists.

• I had hitherto believed that the minority of Plusnet clients who read these forums were well-informed enough not to be taken in by such a scam.