cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got any ideas on this PC issue I have?

paulpicks21
Grafter

Anyone got any ideas on this PC issue I have?

Ok I will try and explain the problem as best I can...
I have just put a new graphics card in an older vista pc I have , but am having a weird problem with it.
The problem is on initial boot up , it quickly goes past the screen that says "press delete to enter setup etc" but the next boot screens it takes literally 5-10 mins to get past . You can actually watch it slowly load each word on the screen one letter at a time from left to right.
Once its spent 5-10 mins getting into vista it works absolutely fine with no problems at all.
These are the things I have tried so far -
I tested it in my new windows 7 pc , it boots up totally fast and normal.
I have put the latest drivers on it.
I have uninstalled it and switched the pc back on.
I have physically removed it from the pc and put it back in.
I have gone into the bios and everything looks ok.
I have checked my memory stick is in ok.
I have run a memory diagnostic test which came back as fine.
I have searched online for anyone that might have a similar issue but got nowhere.
I am totally baffled.
The PC spec incase its needed is-
Vista
Intel core 2 dual core 2.4ghz
1 gig ram
500gb hdd
And the new graphics card is a pretty low spec Geforce G210
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Paul.
15 REPLIES 15
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Anyone got any ideas on this PC issue I have?

After a lot more digging around on the net , I found a forum where it seems that the G210 card is causing the same issue for many others.
It appears to be a compatibility issue between the card and loads of older motherboards.
Unfortunately this is currently no cure for it  Cry
artificer
Grafter

you could try a linux livecd and see if you get better results from that.  otherwise an upgrade might be in order.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@artificer, that wouldn't make any difference to the speed of the POST as all that happens before anything is loaded from any of the drives on the PC.
Are there any BIOS updates available for your board, Paul? Might be worth a look, socket 775 hasn't been around for that long surely?
nittygritty
Grafter

another thing you could try altho it prob wont help by sounds of it, is to type msconfig in Run and go to startup and uncheck some of the items you have on there, may load faster maybe, altho as you say its a known problem with motherboards, worth a try tho
paulpicks21
Grafter

Cheers for the ideas guys.
Matt , the latest bios for my motherboard  is 2008 and the graphics card was released in nov 09 so sadly I don't think that will work.
Fortunately its my spare pc so I think I will just have to grin and bear it and just switch it on a few mins before I need it , go make a coffee then use it  Grin
severedsolo
Grafter

Hi Paul, well if i might add my own suggestion, it might be worth making a post on here: http://www.vistax64.com/ im a "working" member of their sister site http://www.sevenforums.com which covers Win 7, we help out on all sorts of things, including motherboards and graphic cards issues, its an unofficial support channel, but alot of our members, on both Vista Forums and Seven Forums are linked to Microsoft
paulpicks21
Grafter

Cheers Martin ,
I had decided to send the graphics card back now , as it appears to be causing an issue with the sound on my vista pc as well now  Grin
Will spend a bit more money and get a decent(ish) card this time , that way I can put the original graphics card (8600GT) back into the vista pc and the new card into my new win 7 pc if ya get me lol.
Just to explain a little better , I bought the Geforce G210 to go in the new win 7 pc , but I should have researched it a little better as it turned out to be a far inferior card than my 8600gt that was in my vista pc.
So I put the 8600gt in my win 7 pc and the G210 in my vista pc and thats where the problems started  Cheesy
Will proberly go for a 9500gt 1gb or a GT240 or something similar but will do my research first this time.
Will bear those forums in mind for the future cheers.
severedsolo
Grafter

your graphics card shouldnt be causeing sound issues...  Huh that sounds like a dodgy chipset driver to me
paulpicks21
Grafter

Its a strange one mate , I am just using the onboard sound card for a headset and mic , it worked perfectly fine before i put the graphics card in. (Vista PC with G210 card)
Now the sound works but I can't for the life of me get the microphone to work , I have checked everything I think.

On the other topic regarding graphics cards , can anyone recommend an ok one? Budget is a bit tight , max £60-70
Cheers
Paul.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you checked if there are any IRQ or IO conflicts
paulpicks21
Grafter

Not too sure how to do that oldjim?
I have been through all the settings in "sound" and all appears ok.
I have checked in device manager and everything looks ok.
Cheers
Paul.
Moominfish
Grafter

Quote from: paulpicks21
On the other topic regarding graphics cards , can anyone recommend an ok one? Budget is a bit tight , max £60-70

Hi Paul,
Sorry I haven't posted on this thread before but I would agree with what you've since found out that it's the graphics card you bought (the Geforce 210) causing the problem.
Anyway,
Here's some graphics cards I would recommend to you, two of which are both slightly/a bit more than slightly above your budget,
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155597 which is a Zotac 9500GT 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PhysX and Cuda ready PCI-E Graphics Card and costs £43.16 Inc VAT, and I can vouch for Zotac cards being VERY good as I had a Zotac 8800GT and it performed brilliantly, absolutely brilliant card and it came with a 5 year warranty!
And then their's this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/205449 which is a PAlIT 9800GT Green 512MB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI_E Graphics Card which costs £71.50 Inc VAT
Or this one which is £15 over your MAX budget but thought I'd mention it anyway as it's a good card for the price http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB-XFX-GTS-250-Green-2000MHz-GDDR3-GPU-675MHz-Shader-1836MHz-128-C... 512MB XFX GTS 250 Green, 2000MHz GDDR3, GPU 675MHz, Shader 1836MHz, 128 Cores, DVI/HDMI and it costs £84.54 Inc VAT
Hope this has been of some help to you mate.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

a word of warning - XFX warranties through Scan can be a major problem
paulpicks21
Grafter

Cheers for the info on the cards mate , will bear them in mind.
Am posting the G210 back next week.