cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone got a Canon PIXMA MX7600 printer?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Anyone got a Canon PIXMA MX7600 printer?

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback about them.
My not so trusty HP 4620 had to go as it was very unreliable.
I've never really heard bad things about canon printers but someone here the other day mentioned plastic running rails? I've checked amazon and there are a few 1star reviews but also some good 5 stars too.
Any other recommendations? - I have bad luck with stuff going wrong so I need the volvo of printers. I've a budget of £60. I need a auto doc feeder (preferably duplex but can live without it) and colour printing - again duplex preferred but won't cry as long as it can scan to PDF because I can send that to the duplex laser printer if need be.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES 6
Roberto0151
Grafter

Re: Anyone got a Canon PIXMA MX7600 printer?

FWIW  I've recently got a Pixma MG4250  (+/- £50 at Argos on line) .  As far as I can see it works well - certainly prints nicely.  It does feel a little bit fragile and "plasticky" compared with my ancient Dell printer but I guess most will these days. It has lots of bells and whistles - way beyond my needs.
If you have a degree in IT Jargon you might well be able to follow the on line instruction manual!
My main annoyance is that I set it up to operate via USB and now that I would like to work wirelessly I can't work out how to change it. Crazy
I probably won't bother now.
Doesn't have an auto feeder but does have duplex printing (? both sides of paper)
Hope this helps.
Thunderclap
Grafter

I've never experienced any real bad issues with the PIXMA family; paper feeds, ink flows, etc. Big plus is the included software integrates nicely with the printer/scanner combination; so no config rage and, printing defaults are usually good enough - although you might need tweaking with over saturated or under saturated photos. Also, most Pixma series use cartrtidges rather than integrated print heads ( like Lexmark ) so there's plenty of cheap compatibles out there. If needed, you can easily disassemble the print platen for cleaning.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I used to have a pixma (forgotten the model number), but it was too expensive to run.
I dropped it in the bin.
Replaced with a cheap monochrome laser.
Toner never clogs up.
Much cheaper to run - and the "ink" is waterproof!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

Gotta be honest I'm not really fussed about the printer abilities, I'm more concerned with the scanner.
I'm looking for a ADF so I can let it chew through a pile of pages and preferably a double sided scanner / duplex.
The MX7600 does do this and I think the MP895 (think thats what it's called) does too but that one is £Mega.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I picked up a flat-bed scanner from a skip.
Its worked perfectly for the last 5 years.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

I can beat that foxy..
I got a dead laser printer from freecycle. The bloke said it was totally dead and he'd been given it by another freecycler along with another printer. The deal they offered him was that he could have the working one if he took the dead one. Naturally he offered the dead one which I thought I'd tinker with.
So I got the thing home only to discover it was a colour printer. Plugged in, dead. No activity at all. Downloaded the service manual to find out how to get it apart and found that there was a PCB at the back held in by two thumbscrews. Took it out and noticed it was missing some ram. Stuck 256MB in it and turned it on. Bingo it came to life instantly and started printing test pages with colour photos on. Stunning quality too.
Hooked up to the PC, installed the driver and found it also had.. a duplex unit too  Shocked Yes, you got it in one, not only was it a colour laser printer but it could do double sided. I've had that thing for at least 3 years now and it's been very reliable. I did have trouble with it last year when I took out the fuser unit to clear a paper jam and consequently spent the rest of the day  Cry but it turned out to be a plastic gear that had slipped and wasn't clicking a microswitch properly  Crazy Got that sorted, back together and not had another problem since  Cool
I'm on borrowed time with it though, when those toners run out thats going to be an expensive issue and I've never known how much they had left in them.