cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations for a USB to Ethernet Adapter?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any recommendations for a USB to Ethernet Adapter?

I'm looking for a USB to Ethernet adapter 10/100 ideally wih a USB <> short cable <> RG45 Socket contruct, I have of course searched but they vary in price from under £2 to ±20. So I thought I'd ask here too see if anyone has any experience.

7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Any recommendations for a USB to Ethernet Adapter?

I have several of them that plug directly in, but not any soap on a rope type.
They claim 100Mb (or even Gb) but read the info carefully and they are 12Mb tops (USB1) speeds. Might have changed in the past few years as mine are all over 2 years old now.

I used some with arm kit and there is usually a Linux driver for them, not sure about M$ ones though.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Anonymous

I use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-T4U-Wireless-Adapter-Extension/dp/B00D0AF3TA without any issues.

Looks like it has been superceded by this one although both are still available https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TEYAN2S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00D0AF3TA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=04AV1YC2FB1VQCY2MZ05

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HairyMcbiker, @SpendLessTime - Yes, it's the 'Soap-on-a-rope' type I'm looking for as I need to shut the server cabinet door when it's plugged in but if push comes to shove I'll try the TP-Link as I know they do good kit.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Both the TP-Link ones come with USB extender cables , although not massively long about 30cm

Also the T4U works under Linux up to and including 5Ghz AC (if you download and compile the driver)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Ive had very good experiences with Plugable for various adapters including the one you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp/B00AQM8586/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...

Really good customer service too

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input @tokey, but when looking for a TP-Link I came across this one so I bought it instead. Once it was plugged in it worked as expected, so I've no complaints there. There is a newer version of this one but there was no point in getting it due to the fact that the Pi only does 10/100.

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Anker make good stuff too, another company I look at for when buying adapters and similar