cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recent Usenet glitch at PN?

lemming
Grafter

Any recent Usenet glitch at PN?

My newsreader, Turnpike 6, has suddenly started reporting 380,000 posts to download.  Ten minutes earlier, queues were empty.  Any chance that it's  a glitch at PN's end?  I've still to investigate at my end, but I'm not aware of anything that would have caused it.  I also use at least one other server for one or two newsgroups with normally close to zero traffic, and will have to check that too.
4 REPLIES 4
lemming
Grafter

Re: Any recent Usenet glitch at PN?

An update.  The problem only occurs with downloads from the Plusnet news server, which is the one I use predominantly.  So I've switched off access to PN, and reverted to aioe and eternal-september.  I  have a couple of hundred posts made mainly in May 2004 to uk.legal.moderated, which were downloaded from Plusnet before I noticed the flood.
avisoft
Grafter

Yup - I had much the same thing at about the same time (although not quite as many posts before I stopped it!).
Posts from 2003 were included, so has a count been reset or overflowed?
Has there been a glitch at GigaNews?
It would help to know what has happened before I try and cope with it.
avisoft
Grafter

Just checked my logs ... and it seems that all the newsgroups I am subscribed to had their counts reset sometime between 2pm and 2:15pm today.
So my newsreader tried to download every post since number 1!
avisoft
Grafter

Imanaged to restore my NewsReader to last week, then ran it again, and it downloaded the new posts just since last week.
I then asked it to delete duplicates already downloaded, and all seems fine today.
Must have been a glitch at GigaNews which caused the latest post number to be returned as zero for some period starting about 2pm yesterday, which was fixed before 10am this morning.
Phew!