Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any printer experts? - HP C309a

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Any printer experts? - HP C309a

I think HP get their kicks out of unnecessary complexity!
I have a C309a on WIFI printing from an XP desktop. Believe it or not for a very cheap home printer it has duplex printing.
My problem is that I cant get duplex printing from software such as Word. I know the printer has it fitted because i have managed to print double sided to double sided using it just as a copier.
I go into the printer options menu and the option for double sided printing is grayed out.
Its not the end of the world but I am interested to know  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any printer experts? - HP C309a

I had that problem with my HP5150 with additional duplexer, connected via an Linksys WiFi print server.
When I first got the printer, the only way I could get it to work was -
- Delete the existing drivers from the PC
- Connect the printer using USB
- Install the driver software
- Configure duplex options, power saving, etc.
- Switch off, and connect the printer to the print server (or in your case run it on WiFi)
- Switch it all on
- In XP go to the Windows printer configuration options, and manually change the printer connection from USB to appropriate network settings
Any other combination would either crash the driver, or the duplex and other options were, as you said, greyed out.
HOWEVER in subsequent years HP have released updated printer drivers on the support website, and other XP machines that have since been added now install as expected.
So it would be worth checking for the latest drivers http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=37371...
Also this would be worth a try - Two-Sided Print Option Is Not Available Even Though an Automatic Two-Sided Printing Accessory (Duple...
PeterLoftus
Pro

Thanks purleigh
The lack of Duplex printing is not a main concern so I haven't followed your advice yet, seeing as its a bit of a major operation. But thanks anyway  Smiley
But it has led me down other avenues which mystify me!  Huh
Although I loaded the HP software from disk to install the printer, which I did as a WIFI installation I now find that I dont seem to have any HP software loaded. What I have is the HP solutions centre and a link to the printers webpage. I suppose the printer is working on drivers under the control of Windoze.
So when I go into the printers folder and select the icon I get little more than the Windoze default dialoge box, no bells and whistles!  Embarrassed
I have been  trying to clean up my installation to reduce boot up time so I might have disabled or deleted something .
I repeat everything still works in a basic format I can print but the printer is so capable I would like to see everyting working optimally. I wonder how many people just settle for  the easy option and don't look to get everything HP say on the tin actually work!  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have ALWAYS found the HP printer software on the supplied CD to be extremely temperamental, so I would recommend ignoring it and getting the latest versions (using the link in my previous post).
That link (when you go to step 2 - "Select a download") has several critical updates, the Windows drivers, and the full "Photosmart" suite.
PeterLoftus
Pro

I have just had a revelation, I hope you guys don't think I'm the only person in the world who didn't know  Grin
I was dreading re installing my printer because I have swapped my Thompson router for a D Link (there is another thread on that). I had the revelation and under the setup button on the printer is a set of network settings. Three button strokes later and the wifi was switched to the D Link, an all the installation previously done including duplex printing was still working  Cool
I was looking for somthing really complex like uninstalling all the previous versions of the printer and re installing from CD or website. You can try to be too clever  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When my Thomson failed and I installed a Netgear, I changed it's SSID / password to that of the old Thomson and also changed the IP ranges to match....
That way I didn't have to make any changes on any PC.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav
Fixes: 514

I have the 309g which has a smaller LCD screen but higher scanning resolution and bluetooth. Other than that it seems identical to the 309a.
The only problem I've met is when duplexing it doesn't show the preview if set so, therefore, doesn't get to the print stage although I can see the document in the print queue.
Haven't found a solution yet apart from not using print preview.
This is on W7 64bit.
By the way, I have found the print quality to be excellent Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still