Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any iPhone/iPad experts around?

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Any iPhone/iPad experts around?

I have an iPhone 5C and an iPad (fairly elderly by today's standards) I run email on the iPhone quite happily. I have recently added the same email account to the iPad but... for all intents and purposes the settings are identical, I can receive and read mail on the iPad but can't send it, getting one of several error messages after a short while after attempting to send.

Any ideas?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Any iPhone/iPad experts around?

Could it be that the iPhone sends via the mobile phone network and the iPad uses the internet?  It is possible that the settings that work for one don't work for the other.

The SMTP settings for sending emails are quite hard to discover on these iDevices.  They assume the use of SSL by default, which isn't right for Plusnet.  If there is more than one SMTP option set-up there will be a default option for sending which you may need to change.

petlew
Pro

Thank you ReedRichards

That sounds like a possibility. My iPhone is over the Vodafone network, and I assume the iPad is internet.

The iPad outgoing server setting being: relay.plus.net -on- In "Advanced" option the SSL is switched off (as in the iPhone)

It happens I have just after another test received the error message:

Cannot Send Mail
connection to the outgoing server
"relay.plus.net" failed. Additional
outgoing Mail Servers can be
configured in Settings> Mail,
Contacts, Calenders.

Ok

This doesn't actually help me at all, any further ideas please?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On the iPad, if you tap the SMTP relay.plus.net on line, are the username, password set with authentication = password chosen? Port no 587.

David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The SMTP settings are very hard to find.  The best settings to use for outgoing email are:

relay.plus.net

No SSL

Port 587

Authentication - Plusnet user name and password

Annoyingly, if you change the authentication password, you have to change the settings for both incoming and outgoing emails separately on an iPad/iPhone. 

petlew
Pro

Thanks again.  The SMTP settings are as ReedRichards notes, except no user name or password are shown (as with the iPhone) both say "optional". the Port is 587.

I have tried adding the same use name and password as for the incoming mail, but this didn't help. So I reverted back to the "optional" setting.

petlew
Pro

PS. the "optional" seems to be the default as it is greyed out.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Fix

You can use Port 25 with no username and password whilst at home but it may not work elsewhere.

With Port 587 the use of a username and password may be optional as far as Apple is concerned but it's not optional with Plusnet so it's not going to work to send emails as your settings stand.  And the settings must be different on your iPhone.

petlew
Pro

Thanks for that, port changed to 25 and it works perfectly.

I wonder if this may cure another problem I have been having with the iPad:

First I should say that the iPad is an old model purchased refurbished for little money, bought for the sole purpose of staying in touch with family in New Zealand using FaceTime. Over time I have added WhatsApp and begun using the Apple generic Mail.

When using FaceTime I have found that I can "call" normally from my end with no problems, but my NZ family cannot call me getting a message "unable to contact". this is not serious as the time differences usually involve text or WhatsApp exchanges first so it doesn't really matter who FaceTime's who.

My daughter here tells me this is because I don't have (or want) Facebook installed on the iPad as they are now inter-connected.

Does this sound likely?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have changed the fix to @ReedRichards as per message #8.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

petlew
Pro

Ooops!! thanks Mav, sorry ReedRichards.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

@petlew wrote:

Does this sound likely?

No.  Facetime is an Apple product and, very inconveniently, only runs on Apple hardware.  Facebook is an independent company and, for the sake of completeness, Skype is now owned by Microsoft.  Why your relatives should force you to purchase a piece of Apple hardware rather than use Skype to communicate is beyond me.  Skype works on pretty-much any platform.

Facebook is in the process of trying to make its messaging feature more of a separate entity and you can now use Facebook Messenger to make video calls, I understand http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-messenger-adds-video-calls-ta... .  So Facebook and Facetime are rivals rather than collaborators.

petlew
Pro

My family in New Zealand did use Skype for a while but, apparently had a lot of trouble caused by it, they didn't specify what, certainly connections to us were very hit or miss and were prone to "dropping out", I was pretty much the only family member not using Apple products, so when my contract phone was up up for renewal I went to an iPhone, something I must admit I've not really regretted, except to find the FaceTime a bit small for comfortable viewing and my disabled wife can't hold it steady. From a reliability of connection point of view FaceTime has been much better, better sound and sharper "picture". Anyway the entire family that end decided en'bloc to ditch Skype in favour of FaceTime, so it was a matter of "if you can't beat em', join em' ". they were all iPhone/iPad users any way. Apple products are more common there than Android and others. I did though go about it as cheaply as I possibly could.

There are a few 3rd party programmes around that allegedly will run FaceTime on a Windows PC, but all come with dire warnings of destruction of your computer, so I haven't attempted that route.

Still don't understand why they can't call me on FaceTime though. I have every sort of security blocking you can think of, maybe something there is interfering. ahh!! maybe not that, not on the iPad, I only have Kaspersky AV running on that.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There were reports of Facebook taking on FaceTime. However as @ReedRichards said this was in the context of competing with not merging.

I don't use FaceTime but noticed in Settings->FaceTime it says Announce Calls ~ Never. Do you have that set?

David
petlew
Pro

No spraxyt I wasn't aware of that setting. I'll check and let you know.