Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any iPhone experts here? - we have a member with problems

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Any iPhone experts here? - we have a member with problems

Hi everyone.
We have a new user that seems to have some problems with an iPhone (& maybe a Windows phone  - the latter may be an incorrect assumption on my part).
The issues were posted here and as far as I know has not been resolved. Ignore the IP address aspects that has been resolved, but whatever the issues with the phone(s), it seems to be causing Wimpywoo to have all sorts of problems based on subsequent posts. Some of these are no doubt due to a lack of detailed technical knowledge, but I suspect problems with the phone(s) - maybe a virus still present, is the root cause of the issues.
I believe the user needs guidance to remove the unwanted email address, backup vital data (without any virus related issues) and remove any virus.
I'll try and get Wimpywoo to post here in this thread if anyone thinks they can help, I'm afraid I know nothing about iPhones.
50 REPLIES 50
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Any iPhone experts here? - we have a member with problems

iPhones can't get "viruses" so not sure where you got that notion from.
NedLudd
Grafter

Jailbroken ones are at risk!
Geoff,
York.
chenks76
All Star

if the person in question is such a tech-phobe, then the chances of having a jailbroken iphone is slim, and even then they are not susceptible to "viruses".
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: chenks76
iPhones can't get "viruses" so not sure where you got that notion from.

Try reading Wimpywoo's post  Roll_eyes
As I said I know nothing about iPhones Lips_are_sealed
They clearly need some help to be able to use the phone correctly any remove that unwantred email address that could be syncing with things it shouldn't, whatever, I don't know. Perhaps those of you that can help can post some sensible instructions.
Wimpywoo
Grafter

Hi and thanks for posting this, I don't have a windows phone I have a iPhone 5 and as far as I know it's not jail broken ? But I did get it secondhand .. Maybe the previous person jail broke it Angry I thought it was too good to be true and cheap!!! How do you get it un jail broken then please? I did check the phone for Cydia and it's not installed and I've reinstalled it twice! We all have phones in the house and we don't own a computer so I can't sync it with iTunes so I can reinstall the software, when I look at the diagnostic and usage there's loads of errors etc . Thanks for any help or advice you may have to offer. P.s the only thing I can think of is that my husband put a memory card in his phone that was once in a windows eight phone that signs into open networks , that added to the list of broken devices from our internet problems we have in this house?, though I did replace it for him with a new one because I thought it may have been that? He's got a android phone ?
NedLudd
Grafter

If you press and hold the front button and then press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears and then keep holding both for 8 seconds the phone will go into DFU mode.
You can then reinstall the Operating System, but you will need a PC with iTunes installed!
Have you reinstalled Cydia? If so, then the phone is Jailbroken!
Geoff,
York.
Wimpywoo
Grafter

Hi thank you for that, I never installed Cydia in the first place but I wanted to rule that out of the reason I'm getting so many problems with this phone( because it was secondhand) . Say I remove this virus from my phone, along comes my daughters and husband that has already attached  to the router when my phone had the virus, my mobile is clean but theirs is not, do I get it on my phone again? I have restarted the router before cleaned the phones and then along comes one of my daughters boyfriend that I can't clean his phone and we're back to square one ? Is this correct? Thanks
chenks76
All Star

remove the word "virus" from your thoughts, that is a red herring that you have grasped on to that is simply throwing you in the wrong direction.
phones don't get "viruses".
Wimpywoo
Grafter

Thank you for your reply, would it be malware? If they don't get viruses then how come I had a brand new iPad Air and it was typing on its own and it was signing me into websites ? My husband and I was sat there watching it in disbelief.
Anotherone
Champion

As I said at the start of this thread I know nothing about iPhones, but I did understand that Android phones can get viruses, so at this point, I'm not sure that I want to believe
Quote from: chenks76
phones don't get "viruses".

as a generalised statement, especially as no other helpful advice has been posted by chenks76. Malware might be a better generalised term to use and I understand that some FREE apps can contain malware (so not a virus in the traditional sense) and the most obvious solution to that is to remove these apps to start with.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

i am no expert on Iphones but is is not possible to factory reset the phone Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Wimpywoo
Grafter

Hi, thank you for your reply, yes it is possible to factory reset an iPhone because I have already done it but it didn't resolve anything unfortunately.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Should this not be under Apple/Linux software? Unless the screen's cracked or the chassis bent like a banana, it's not really a hardware issue....
Wimpywoo
Grafter

hmm thanks for your reply.