Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Android vbox advice

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Any Android vbox advice

Looking to install android in a virtual machine on my linux computer. Anybody have any recommendations or advice before I start? Maybe worth noting that I have a non sse2 cpu if that would make any difference. Main aim is to use BlackBerry Blend which doesn't run on xp.
2 REPLIES 2
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: Any Android vbox advice

I installed Android 4.4 as an experiment on Oracle's (free) VirtualBox (Windows 8.1 Host). It does work OK here. I can't comment on the CPU issue, but  If Virtualbox will run then Android should be OK.
The one  issue with Android and Virtualbox is that there are (as far as I can discover)  no supported "guest additions" and therefore no pointer integration - you have to manually control whether the mouse pointer is inside or outside the host window. It also means no automatic resizing of the guest window and no shared folders with the host ( although I am not sure whether Android would understand them anyway).
I would download Virtualbox, install it, then try installing Android 4.4 - that's also free - and fire it up.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Any Android vbox advice

Thanks, I already have virtual box and an sort of familiar with using it. I already have xp running in a box just for those times when wine won't do. I just fancy trying BlackBerry Blend which is Blackberry device software for accessing files on your phone, backing up and sending messages etc from another device linked to the phone but unfortunately it's minimum windows seven. It does have an android version which I thought I would try rather than setting up a full w7 box just for one app.
Was getting sent in the direction of Genymotion which seems to have mixed results. Wondered if anyone had tried the various ones that are available and their recommendations.