cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus packages - Any recommendations, please

Not applicable

Re: Antivirus packages - Any recommendations, please

Well Strat, this thread and your endorsement has encouraged me to have a go with the free trial of Kaspersky. The installation went OK except that I had to edit the registry as it was picking up AVG keys (which I uninstalled ages ago).
It's very complicated and will take some study but so far is unobtrusive. I think that I detect a very slight slowing down of webpage loading but it might be my imagination. Have not touched the settings at all and left everything on default.
Interested
Grafter

Just thought I'd add that I've had no luck with checking that McAfee is completely uninstalled after visiting their website/ my account.
Like to add though I have recently purchased a registry cleaner (perfect optimizer) prior to uninstalling McAfee which I run regularly so I'm wondering is this is likely to have removed the remains of McAfee?
(Without diverting too much from my own topic would like to add that this made the difference between a functioning & non-functionoing laptop prior to unistalling McAfee via program removal).
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Just to illustrate my point
Quote from: Strat
... if a selection of group tests is consulted a variety of conflicting results will emerge.

These two reviews
http://www.computershopper.co.uk/labs/252/security-suites/products.html and
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/44057/tests/kaspersky_internet_security_2009.html
produce differing results.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jazz
Grafter

Sorry Interested for the duff link. You need to go to McAfee downloads to get the MCPR.exe (the McAfee products removal tool).  You can access it through the customer support website or Google it.  Registry cleaners will not necessarily find bits left by McAfee but they can cause future interference.  Good luck!
Interested
Grafter

Cheers Jazz. Will try that shortly. Smiley
Just to illustrate my point
... if a selection of group tests is consulted a variety of conflicting results will emerge.

These two reviews
http://www.computershopper.co.uk/labs/252/security-suites/products.html and
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/44057/tests/kaspersky_internet_security_2009.html
produce differing results.

Strat....Any "retailer" such as PC World is hardly going to provide unbiased reviews.
I am one of those people who are floating voters, always insist on searching the markets and rarely buy any product on impulse or simply follow the crowd . I'm not after a single viewpoint or single final conclusion. I'd much rather have numerous viewpoints and then make my own final assumptions.
The feedback so far has been gratefully received.  Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I tried the link and it worked ok for me
Interested
Grafter

Well I used a search engine & found the link so I'm happy. Guessing McAfee didn't want to let me go! Roll_eyes
Plus Jazz I'm still reeling in shock at the supersonic speed at which web pages are loading since using the removal download tool. Think my laptop did too, lol, as it froze momentarily before responding again.
Very happy now. Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Interested
Strat....Any "retailer" such as PC World is hardly going to provide unbiased reviews.

@Interested The link was to a review in PC World Magazine an old established (March 1983) computer periodical not PC World the retailer (November 1991). Wink
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

Sounds like your day has been very productive Interested - glad that you have your McAfee problem sorted and that your lappie is feeling better.
This is the main reason why I am a bit averse to ISSs but so far Kaspersky  doesn't seem to have slowed this computer up markedly.
Only thing is that it has that many components that I am a bit of a loss - makes you wonder how you managed to stay virus/malware-free without it.
Just checked the firewall (which hasn't popped up at all like Zone Alarm does) and it has given permission to Solitaire! Strat - what's that all about? If I deny it I get a message about restriction causing instability.
Also, doesn't seem to tally up or text certify e-mails so you just have to trust that it is getting on with the job.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
it has given permission to Solitaire! Strat - what's that all about?

What are you asking me for. I'm only a lowly IT Manager for my sins Cry
Sorry Poppy but I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Someone will though. Smiley
Presumably it's accessing an area of the OS that Kaspersky is keeping an eye on like the registry.
jazz
Grafter

@Interested - glad you found the link.  I had the same experience as you once I got McAfee out of my system! Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

I know this is a day or 2 late but just wanted to add my 2 penneth worth. For what its worth i do not like McAfee at all, I know people who's term has expired and the system has been spiked with viruses leading to the only option being a format. I use AVG free and Adaware on all my systems, I have a PC and laptop for my use which both download and my daughter has a laptop which goes online also. As long a I run an Adaware scan weekly and do AVG regular I have no problems and have never had any viruses to date (thats me jinxed!). Don't like Norton or Panda either. And most importantly they are totally FREE! I like free!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

As another ex (IT Manager) I used to like McAfee; very good management tools. A bit OTT for domestic users maybe in "standard" form.
Norton is also OTT domestically though generally fine until it goes wrong, which it does far too often. Then it's a pig!
Kaspersky, AVG, Avira, Avast etc. all seem fine.
amir852
Grafter

use kaspersky or nod32 or malwarebytes or bitdefender you can easily order it cheaper from amazon or ebay or aria.com
avalon
Grafter

I prefer Kaspersky for my MS system, it's pretty good, but also not such a resource hog as some others, and it's never given me any problems.  There are some useful features hidden in it.  For example you can add heuristic checking if you have enough spare processor power, or choose not to scan files that haven't been accessed/modified since the last scan which can speed up scanning a machine with large disks quite a bit.