cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus packages - Any recommendations, please

Interested
Grafter

Antivirus packages - Any recommendations, please

Have been using McAfee antivirus, firewall & spam & privacy protection until recently for almost 3 years as a satisfied home (domestic) customer. But am now very disgruntled with their customer services/ technical support and seriously thinking of switching early, despite having a valid subscription for another 4 months.
Have trialed AVG for nearly 30 days now but am not convinced due to most automatic updates failing and manual updates inside normal office hours also fail regularly! Though my computer is now much faster than with McAfee.
Have read recommendations for Avast.
Visited Norton's website though must admit  wonder if it is worth the extra cost.
Any experiences much appreciated. Smiley
With thanks.
36 REPLIES 36
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Antivirus packages - Any recommendations, please

Current free version of AVG gets good reports, better than some paid for packages.
Personally I've used Kaspersky for over3 years with no problems and it consistently gets high marks in group tests.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
StickyMick
Grafter

Norton isn't much better than McAfee for resource hogging, IMO. But any A/V software will take up some CPU time.
Try giving Avira antivir a look: http://www.free-av.com/. They do a free and a paid for version.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I use AVG Free and am happy with it.  There are times when it won't automatically update and this is annoying but at least you get a warning and have the opportunity to update manually.
Strat
Community Veteran

Interested has actually asked a difficult question as if this thread runs long enough recommendations will be put forward for most if not all A/V products.
Also if a selection of group tests is consulted a variety of conflicting results will emerge.
No single package will give total protection but some offer a close second and hopefully the OP will pick one of these.
Similar threads have run in the past here with similar results.
The best of luck Interested  Smiley
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
StickyMick
Grafter

As I always say "An A/V package is only as good as it's last update". So the reaction speed of the programmers to new threats should also be taken into account when choosing a package, as well as the availability of update servers.
jazz
Grafter

I switched from McAfee to Avast! about 3 years ago and have been delighted with it.  Be aware though that if  you try to get rid of McAfee it does not just go with using Windows Uninstall (or the McAfee Uninstall either!). After using the Windows uninstall you need to go to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and dowload and then run the MacAfee removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all traces - if you don't do this then it can interfere with future AV packages that you may use.
Strat
Community Veteran

Similar situation with Norton.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

You beat me to it Strat but yes you are right about Norton.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

And sometimes with AVG too.
Recently had to run the AVG removal tool before Kaspersky would install.
thejudge
Rising Star

I've been using Avast! for about 6 years now, both on my old 98SE rig and my newer XP setup. I can't recall ever having any problems with it apart from the occasional failed update on the 98 machine.
As for updates, Avast! updates at least once every day - sometimes more often.
If you do decide to use it, though, make sure you disable the sounds!
jazz
Grafter

I like the sounds!!  It's reassuring to hear that the update has been completed Wink
Not applicable

I like the Avast sounds too, for the same reason. Was interested to hear favourable opinions about Kaspersky because I have heard opposing ones. Also, my bank is offering the ISS very cheaply after a 30-day trial. I think that I was a little disturbed due to it being Russian!
Had not gone for the offer because of the reports about it being resource hungry and difficult to master.
Interested
Grafter

Quote from: jazz
I switched from McAfee to Avast! about 3 years ago and have been delighted with it.  Be aware though that if  you try to get rid of McAfee it does not just go with using Windows Uninstall (or the McAfee Uninstall either!). After using the Windows uninstall you need to go to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe and dowload and then run the MacAfee removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all traces - if you don't do this then it can interfere with future AV packages that you may use.

Sorry, Jazz The link does not work.
Will try again by logging into my account in McAfee an attempt to find it.
Cheers all for the info so far.
dgreen007
Grafter

Quote from: jazz

I have a feeling I may have to find a specific uninstall software as when I'm trying to install AVg free it comes up telling me that I already have an antivirus software running on my PC but I have no idea what it is referring to.
Is there any way you can actually find out what exactly is still running on your PC even if you can't see it in the remove/add facility in Windows.