Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus for WinXP SP2?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Antivirus for WinXP SP2?

Avast is out, it keeps mumbling about not finding a procedure entry point for GetLogicalProcessorInformation or something like that. Apparently a windows call that arrived in SP3. As this mobo didn't want to know about SP3 being on it I'm not convinced i should bother wasting my time trying to install it manually from a running windows installation.

So.. any recommendations for other free AV that will run on SP2? AVG and Kaspersky are big no no's. Kaspersky for previously stated reasons in other threads, AVG I've never found to be very effective.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Antivirus for WinXP SP2?

Having a look around you might struggle to find something Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I used to use AVG Free with XP   and  later windows versions... never had any virus infections.... it may not run XP now... due to so many "upgrades" of windows, I suspect, that it has be almost totally re-written, as with avast ..

(try AVIRA and see if that works .... )

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Immunet version 5 apparently works on XP but I didn't find any specifics about SP2 compatibility.
That's RPM to you!!
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Try looking here...

https://www.cnet.com/news/still-running-windows-xp-antivirus-products-put-to-the-test/

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@7up wrote:

So.. any recommendations for other free AV that will run on SP2? AVG and Kaspersky are big no no's. Kaspersky for previously stated reasons in other threads, AVG I've never found to be very effective.

Neither AVG nor Kaspersky will run on SP2 anyway. XP SP3 being the oldest they will work with. It's 10 years next month since SP3 was released. Time to move on?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A major problem is that Antivirus programs get more ambitious year-on-year and an old computer frequently does not have enough 'power' to cope with an antivirus program that is focussed on running on today's machines.  So the wrong program, even if it would install, would bring the computer to a stand-still.

I have seen Avast running quite well on an XP machine but as we have ruled that out I have no suggestions.  Could you use another computer for Internet access and do without an antivirus program on the old XP machine?  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Would this give you more scope? https://filehippo.com/download_windows_xp_service_pack_3/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Neither AVG nor Kaspersky will run on SP2 anyway. XP SP3 being the oldest they will work with. It's 10 years next month since SP3 was released. Time to move on?

I'll give SP3 a go as an install but for whatever reason it wouldn't run as a slip streamed disk.

As for moving on, my budget won't stretch to Win7 at present and the PCI wifi card only supports XP in AP mode (afaik). At present i'm musing the Gigabyte drivers for the ralink rt2500 and by default it can put the card into AP mode without needing to even logon to the machine - where as other soft APs need you to logon and run them manually each time. It's the only card i've found so far that can do what i want hence wanting to stick with it.

If anyone dares point out how i often point out i don't like wifi I'll come looking for you Knuppel lol

I don't generally like using it but it does have uses at times.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!