cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antivirus 2009

seanbranagh
Grafter

Antivirus 2009

That really is an evil, hateful piece of work! Surely with a scam this big the people responsible can be found and arrested!
The computer needed a reinstall anyway, soon solved that problem. Grin
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Antivirus 2009

from previous posts I think Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware gets rid of it, Luckily I cant try
newmillscomp
Grafter

I have dealt with about 20 of these infections in the last month and in my experience as Pierre_pierre says Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is the most effective way of cleaning it provided you catch it early enough.
The only way to really rid the infection is a re-install of Windows.
Only speaking from personal experience. Someone else out there may have found a cleaner which totally gets rid of it
newmillscomp
Grafter

I thought I read somewhere that the US Government had shut these people down ?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

MalwareBytes is the only tool I have found that can completely remove it. However, AV 2009 tries to block many of the common A/V removers including Malwarebytes so there are a few tricks you need to do in order to run it after being infected. This involves renaming the actual malwarebytes binary to something else e.g. fred.exe then running fred.
AV2009 really is a nasty one as it has many ways to stop you from removing it and accessing the net to search for solutions by blocking common A/V websites and forums.
seanbranagh
Grafter

When I went to reinstall XP on that computer setup could not format the partition. It worked fine after I ran Darik's Boot And Nuke. Could Antivirus 2009 have caused that problem?
Not applicable

Have heard of this before but can someone explain the mode of transmission. Presumably it is down to e-mail or clicking on a suspect link? Also, what exactly happens to the computer and how do you identify it?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Not sure how you get this. I have never had it on my own computers. I asume it must be a dodgy link. When you have it beleive me you will know! It stays on the screen continously. It finds its way into Windows security centre so even that is telling you that you need to subscribe to Antivirus 2009. It also blocks allmost all web pages at random with an IE generated lookalike page making it impossible to download software to remove it or even find information. I think to remove it you would need access to another computer on which to download the relevent tools/information. In my case I don't have the patience for this so out came the Windows XP disk, works every time. Grin
samuria
Grafter

I found it fairly simple to remove as you can pick it up in the startup and kill the process and then remove it along with the registery keys. What is the worse id Go Google now that is a little swine. You search on google and any links when you click on them takes you off to another site not the one on the link you can  see a strange number on the webpage in the top corner.
Getting rid of this one is something else you can not run any Av or spyware or update them as it wont let any run. It installs its self as a hardware device which you can see in device manager but boy its hard to get rid of.