cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-virus Software Renewal

Boz
Rising Star

Anti-virus Software Renewal

I've been advised by AVG that my anti-virus software license is about to be renewed.  I don't want to renew my license with them, but how do I stop them from using my credit card details to do this automatically?
Boz
13 REPLIES 13
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Anti-virus Software Renewal

Boz
Rising Star

Many thanks for the link, Steven.
Boz
Rising Star

Very strange !!    They've sent me an email, but they don't recognise my email address in the link that Steven has sent me.
shalom2010
Grafter

You're welcome - hope it you're successful
shalom2010
Grafter

Did you have the original email they sent you when you signed up?
Boz
Rising Star

I have the original "Invoice, Order & License" email from them.
shalom2010
Grafter

I'm sure you must have tried....ringing them on their freephone number 0800 096 7734
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for that info, Steven.  I've got their Newark address but no number.
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: Call
tried....ringing them on their freephone number 0800 096 7734

I don't know where you got the number from - not on any list I've seen.    Anyway, on the second attempt ("you want to renew your contract"), I got through to Riccardo at AVG, and hopefully he's sorting out the cancellation.
Thanks once again.

Boz
Rising Star

Update:-
I never did receive the promised confirmation from Riccardo (AVG) that he had terminated my contract; however, a couple of days ago I received an email from AVG warning me that my anti-virus protection had expired !!   
As a precautionary course of action, I had already contacted my credit card company and asked them to reject any demand from “AVG Technologies UK” and “AVG*www.avg.com”.    Really quite glad not to be having any more dealings with that company.

Boz
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Not sure if it's correct but it is claimed that the free versions  of anti virus software are just as effective as the paid versions although I accept you get more options with the paid versions.
Not used windows on line for years but when I was using it I never had a problem with the free versions of anti virus software  or free firewalls.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Been using FREE versions of AVG ( since version 4 ) to ( version 8).. when I found it was filling up my hdd... so I swapped it for other free antivirus... so about 15 years... and only got one hit !.. my fault.. I forgot to add the Antivirus, when I put in a new HDD ! ! !...
WTF
Grafter

I've also used AVG Free as my primary AV for years.  Like any AV, it doesn't catch everything, but it's always seemed perfectly adequate.
I back it up with occassional scans with Avast! and Malwarebytes on the assumption that, though they all catch around 60% of issues, fortunately it's not the same 60%  Roll_eyes