cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti spam software

Andrew
Grafter

Anti spam software

Can anyone recommend a good anti spam package please?
I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I need something that will quietly work in the background, on multiple accounts, with access to known spam lists and the ability to white and black list addresses?
Many thanks
Andrew
6 REPLIES 6
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: Anti spam software

Mail washer gets good reviews...
http://www.mailwasher.net/
Andrew
Grafter

Thanks Nick, I've been looking at that and reading the reviews.  Since I'm pretty much always online, and Outlook checks for mail regularly I would have to change the way I deal with email to get the most out of it though.
A plugin or something that works at server level would be better.  I'm also considering dumping Outlook and just using Thunderbird and letting that deal with spam...  any thoughts?
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Thunderbird also gets good reviews for it's anti-spam facilities.  I have it installed but I must confess I still use OE - just inertia I guess.
Have you considered anti-spam add-ons to anti-virus programs?  Most have this feature for a small extra cost to their anti-virus program.
I have never gone down this route myself.  I use Googlemail, Plusnet and BT Openworld and their ISP/server based spam filtering means I rarely get spam actually delivered to my machine.  I can logon via webmail and see the captured spam (worth doing as some mail is incorrectly labelled as spam). It is held in the spam folder for 30 days before it is automatically deleted.
I have seen Norton anti-spam and it seems a pain in the bum to me. All it does is create a spam folder in OE where spam is directed to. You still have to review and delete.
Hope this some help.
Andrew
Grafter

I've installed Thunderbird and it's anti-spam functionality seems good for freeware...  The only issue I have is trying to import Outlook folders, it's all or nothing and I have a large Archive!  The options I suppose are to just wait for it to import the lot, or to export what I really want in there to OE and then import from there, don't know if I can be bothered though.
I too use Gmail and Plusnet - if I could set up a white list I'd be very happy with this solution.
Thanks for your input, time to make a decision and see how successful it is.
Njal
Grafter

I use K9 here.
http://keir.net/k9.html
Free, and it does what it says on the tin!
Currently running at 98.96% accuracy in spam detection.
Regards,
holdtight
Grafter

Hi Andrew
There are several very good free spam filters available that will sit between your email app and mail server filtering out unwanted mail with the ability to also set up black and white lists and learn as they go such as spamihilator, spamterrier or spamfighter just google to find them
Have you also enabled spam filtering on your plus account as it will help